La Marzocco Linea blows glass fuse after 30mins

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
mickw555

#1: Post by mickw555 »

Hi All,

I'm new to this site I would really appreciate some advice on the above machine.

I acquired a La Marzocco Linea 2 group some years ago, it is a fantastic machine, i'm not a business I just appreciate good coffee and was fortunate to acquire this machine as I was going through the home one's approximately 2 a year. This last much longer, I found a shop locally that repairs them however i'm not over impressed with their work, and after rebuilding several cars and bikes I felt this cannot be too bad to repair. How wrong I was ;-) basically I switch it off whilst working for the day, and then switch it on in the evening let it warm up and leave it on overnight until I have my coffee before work when I switch it off.

Recently all was well I made my latte before work and powered of the machine, the temperature dropped from 8 to 3 degrees that day so it was feeling cold, I got home and switched the machine on as it takes a good 20 minutes to warm up to operating temperature, when I returned it had zero pressure on the steam, although the coffee heads were working ok it seems so had to settle for espresso.

I assumed like a cold bulb blowing that perhaps the heater element had blown due to the cold so ordered a new one and gasket, this arrived I sourced a huge 42mm socket replaced the element, powered up but got exactly the same no pressure on the steam. So I investigated further and found a small 6amp glass fuse inside the computer box, replaced that, I only had a 5amp glass fuse the same, and bingo the pressure grew and I got my first latte since it went wrong, I had a 2nd cup to be sure and was delighted. I left it to whir away, returned a little while to find again the steamer down to zero pressure but the boiler for the coffee heads was fine. Hhmm ok so it wasn't the element as I thought however glad I replaced it all the same, so I went back and changed the glass fuse again and got the steam pressure back, made another coffee whilst I had the chance but after about 20-30mins it seems to blow that fuse. I havent had time to check the continuity of the other fuses, as I did consider it maybe a thermal fuse somewhere, although changing the fuse did originally bring it straight back to operating pressure, the only other anomaly, the buttons for the coffee heads all work ok, but I did notice the one that has steam on the button, clicks but nothing happens, I used to use that one for hot water to make tea, although after a cup it turns to steam, i'm sure it's related however i'm lost where to go next. I will get an engineer out if necessary however it would be so nice if I could fix this myself, and naturally cheaper, if anyone has experienced this or has an idea please let me know.

Thanks for reading and hope someone has an idea for this issue.

Cheers

Mick