La Marzocco Linea 1EE Powdercoat - What Color?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
fredfal

#1: Post by fredfal »

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a little project. More specifically, I'm doing a complete tear-down, cleaning, descaling, and rebuild of my 2007 Linea 1EE. It's currently just the standard polished stainless with black trim pieces, but there's a small bit of corrosion on the inside of the frame and on some of the trim.

So, I figured that since I'm going to have it all taken apart and will need to address the corrosion, why not get the whole thing powdercoated so that it blends in a bit better in a home environment? So, I'm looking for opinions about the coloring and how to execute. I'm kind of thinking of a 3-color theme that resembles a cappuccino. Two shades of brown (light and dark) with a milky or ivory to offset.

I've created an extremely high-tech model to see how it would look (please, no applause - I know - I'm some sort of genius).

So, I'd really appreciate any input or suggestions anyone may have. I've attached my high-tech model in two slightly different variations. In this drawing, you can't see the big surround that goes around the outside top/back of the machine. In both of the samples here, that pieces would be the lighter of the two brown colors. The lower panels (the ones on in the middle on the same level as the milk-colored panel) would be the milk color.

If you have specific suggestions, I can put them into my high-tech model and post them to see how they look.

Thanks!
-Fred

fredfal (original poster)

#2: Post by fredfal (original poster) »

Here are some updated pictures with possibilities. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!

-Fred

Advertisement
HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

Nice! I prefer the examples with the dark-colored grates because they'll hide the coffee grounds accumulating in the driptray. The top grate's color is less important since it will likely be covered by cups most of the time.
Dan Kehn

#4: Post by fredfal (original poster) replying to HB »

Thanks, Dan. I was kind of thinking the same thing. It's getting close!
-Fred
-Fred

TomC
Team HB

#5: Post by TomC »

And make sure you really, really like staring at brown. These harvest colors seem to scream 1980's kitchens to most folks.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

#6: Post by fredfal (original poster) replying to TomC »

Tom,
Great point! I'm totally open to suggestions. The colors here are just kind of my first stab, but I figure the more possibilities, the more likely I am to find one I really like.

If you have something in mind, let me know and I'll plug it into my little tool and post a pic.

I miss having my machine operating, but am enjoying the aero press and clever, so I have time to make a decision. No reason to rush. I'd rather get it right.

Thanks!
-Fred

Randy G.

#7: Post by Randy G. »

Find the powdercoating outfit you want to use and go and look at their samples, preferably on the same material (stainless) if possible. And do it in different lighting situations. if retro is your thing, how about a classic black and white? Creme and very dark brown? Ferrari red and black? 3M DiNoc carbon fiber? Leopard?
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Advertisement
TomC
Team HB

#8: Post by TomC »

There's so many options. Why not plug in some kind of light grey along with some shade of blue? You can tri-color it too if you want. Endless possibilities.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

#9: Post by fredfal (original poster) »

Great suggestions! I don't think I'll be doing any animal or carbon fiber prints... though a jungle theme for the espresso room is intriguing. I do enjoy a nice cup of Monkey Blend, after all.

Here's what they may look like (without the animal prints):

Ferrari Red with Black:

Dark Brown and Cream:

Black and White:

Gray with Blue:

I like the retro look and of these four, I think I like the gray and blue the best, but like others have said, there are infinite possibilities.

Thanks!
-Fred

muziq

#10: Post by muziq »

If you could handle greens, possibly a dark green (like emerald) with a lighter pastel green (like mint) as the offset color--together with the red power light and white/chrome accents from the gauges, you'd be getting close to the colors of the Italian flag. The blue/grey combo is also very nice. Sounds like a fun project!