La Marzocco GS3 - will 110V model work with 220V and transformer?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
annettemrichter

#1: Post by annettemrichter »

Hi forum,

So me and my GS3 are moving to a 220V country. My machine is on 110v. Will it work with a transformer?

Many thanks!

BaristaBoy E61

#2: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Sized properly - YES!

You didn't mention if there will be a line frequency difference. Even so, I don't believe there will be a problem.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Advertisement
darokz

#3: Post by darokz »

i would not try if i were you...

viveur

#4: Post by viveur »

Funnily enough I was looking at transformers recently for similar reasons, albeit to use my 110V Bonavita kettle, and some other culinary equipment, in Europe (I waited to move before getting an espresso machine). There shouldn't really be any issue, except for possibly motors which can be frequency specific.

It seems like there's huge variability in transformer quality which is the main thing I'd be concerned about in your case, but I eventually found what looks like a reliable 3.3kVA industrial strength transformer which I could actually trust. It's kinda expensive though (I believe there are places that sell it for less, but they only seem to ship in the UK which doesn't work for me):
http://www.wattbits.com/cm3000aus.html

I haven't ordered it yet since I'm busy travelling, but I'll try to post here once I actually get it. There are plenty of cheaper transformers around, but their reviews are... variable.

There are also lower-power versions available, e.g. the CM1000AUS or CM2000AUS. The numbers correspond to be the continuous power draw that they can sustain, so the peak current can be higher. E.g. the CM1000AUS is rated for 1kVA continuous, a.k.a. just under 10A at 110V. I'm guessing most US machines will peak at 15A, but they only draw that current when initially heating up - so you could probably survive on the 1kVA, but a beefier unit would be safer, especially if you also want to run a grinder. (The Carroll Meynell center tapped transformers are similar, and state that their continuous rating is 2/3 of their peak rating, which suggests that 1.5kVA peak is fine for the 1kVA device.)

AssafL

#5: Post by AssafL »

annettemrichter wrote:Hi forum,

So me and my GS3 are moving to a 220V country. My machine is on 110v. Will it work with a transformer?

Many thanks!
I worked with LM to retrofit my machine to 220v.
Replaced:
2 heaters
3 solenoid coils
Motor (for pump)
Rewired the 3d5 for 220V

It took about 2-3 hours to do.
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

sluflyer06

#6: Post by sluflyer06 replying to AssafL »

Do this OP, it's the right way to do it.