La Marzocco GS3 steam temperature

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
apeisach

#1: Post by apeisach »

I just bought a GS3 and am learning to use it, the foam i am getting with my milk is less than impressive. (my fault and lack of practice). The milk does not come out thick or creamy. At what temperature should i set the STEAM TEMPERATURE if i use 2% milk? thank you!

Espresso_Monkey

#2: Post by Espresso_Monkey »

Hi ya
Can you change the steam temp? Or do you mean pressure?
Either way, your steam temp is going to be >/= 100 deg C...when water boils...(although pressure will affect this)

You want good pressure so that you can 'stretch' the milk (protein denaturing) and get it rolling.
I've got my steam boiler set to 1.1 bar and that gives plenty of steam power for my machine (boiler volume is ~2 L I think).

Your machine will have oodles of steam-grunt.
Heaps of videos and HB articles on steaming technique. This is probably the problem.
Cheers.

Bob_McBob

#3: Post by Bob_McBob »

The steam boiler temperature (pressure) you choose will depend on your normal steaming habits (amount of milk), whether you have the no-burn or "burn me" wand, and what steam tip is installed. There are several good archived threads on the subject, like Steaming with the La Marzocco GS3.
Chris

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

Reading La Marzocco GS/3 unimpressive steam boiler recovery, you'll note that some GS/3 owners like lots of steam pressure (nearly 2.0 bar!). During the La Marzocco GS/3 review research, I set it to around 1.6 bar and that was plenty fast (see Saturated Steam Table for converting pressure to temperature and vice versa). There are lots of videos and suggestions on steaming technique. Two that I like are:
From Newbie Introduction to Espresso
From Learning latte art with steamed soapy water

BTW, you can tweak the steam pressure on the fly:
HB wrote:One feature I really appreciate is "quick keys":

Want to increase the brew temperature? Simple, press FN+Key 2, then the +/- keys. Same for the steam boiler. Before wrapping up this review, I'll measure the time required for the brew temperature to stabilize to a new setting using a Scace. My guess is that 3 minutes + 1 flush + 2 minutes should suffice for a 1.5°F increase and probably a couple minutes more for a temperature decrease (again, to be confirmed).
Dan Kehn

Espresso_Monkey

#5: Post by Espresso_Monkey »

2 Bar . . . oh my lord . . .

Billc

#6: Post by Billc »

As long as you are between 1.5 and 2.0 bar you will be fine. Increasing the temp allows you to store more energy in the boiler. There is not much change in the temp of the steam exiting the wand since it is at (or close) to atmospheric pressure. In side the boiler it may be hotter but when it exits, temperature is dependent upon pressure. Think pv=nrt ( assuming that the water vapor is an ideal gas) it is pretty close for estimation.

Bill C