La Marzocco GS/3 - overflowing brew boiler

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
newmanium

#1: Post by newmanium »

Came back from vacation and have the first technical problems with my GS/3. Couldn't find any existing help on this problem.

While heating up, the brew boiler overflow has a steady leak (valve on the left side). As it continues to heat up, the group head eventually starts leaking/running as well. When running the tea function while this is going, even after getting to 150 degrees, the water coming out is room temperature.

While warming up, the pressures are low (haven't got above 0.3 for steam, and 6 for brew boiler). The leaking through the grouphead continues after turning off the machine - I have to shut off the input water (plumbed) for it to stop, even then it takes about 2 minutes to finish dripping. There is also a high pitched squeal while it's leaking that I can vary with the position of the paddle (is a painful squeal).

I haven't let it get above 150 as I try to ascertain what's wrong. Any ideas? I don't hear the incoming pump running as it leaks, so my guess is that the water is coming into the machine even when the pump is off (i.e., pump went bad? would way to check this be simply unplug the output end of pump - should water come out when the pump is off?)

erics
Supporter ★

#2: Post by erics »

Off the middle of my head :) , I believe that the middle o-ring on your paddle assembly has gotten tired. Order a paddle valve rebuild kit from your dealer and arrange for installation or DIY. Perhaps best for a tech to install and you to watch the first time around - this could be debated.

By brew boiler overflow, I ASSUME you mean the expansion valve and that valve is designed to go "drip . . . drip . . . drip" as the machine warms up because it relieves brew boiler at ~12 bar due to thermal expansion of the contained water.

I would assume the pump is fine.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

HeyHey

#3: Post by HeyHey »

Hi, long-time lurker, first time poster, but I've been playing with one of these a bit lately...

I concur with erics... The first thing I'd do is rebuild the grouphead/paddle. Once you know that it is working and not leaking, you can diagnose any other problems... Also, I'm confused by your comment about the hot water spigot, as that comes from the steam boiler vs. the coffee boiler. You might want to check for sticking check valves on both boilers if you're having issues with both, but only after rebuilding the paddle...

Cheers,
Alan
Christopher Scott
After Sales and Technical Support
LA MARZOCCO HOME

newmanium (original poster)

#4: Post by newmanium (original poster) »

erics wrote:By brew boiler overflow, I ASSUME you mean the expansion valve and that valve is designed to go "drip . . . drip . . . drip" as the machine warms up because it relieves brew boiler at ~12 bar due to thermal expansion of the contained water.
Good tips, I'll look into getting this rebuild kit.

And to clarify - the overflow valve I'm talking about is on the left side of the machine, and is what the water/soap comes out when cleaning via backflow (it's connected to the top of the brew boiler tank). So NOT the expansion valve.

I only mentioned the hot water spigot because I was wondering if the steam boiler was working in the initial debug stages, so I kept trying the hot water feature to see what was coming out... probably unrelated.

erics
Supporter ★

#5: Post by erics »

And to clarify - the overflow valve I'm talking about is on the left side of the machine, and is what the water/soap comes out when cleaning via backflow (it's connected to the top of the brew boiler tank). So NOT the expansion valve.
OK, understood - that line is from the exhaust port of the paddle group and relieves at the conclusion of a shot when the paddle is moved to the "off" position. The leakage you describe is a further indication of a worn middle o-ring.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Marshall

#6: Post by Marshall »

DO NOT RELY on armchair repair advice from this forum. You have described multiple symptoms, and no one will know what the problem is until they look into your machine and know what they are looking for. Portland must be loaded with LM technicians. Call a shop you respect and ask them to recommend someone to take a look at your machine.

Your GS/3 is too valuable to start dismantling and replacing things when you don't know what you are doing.
Marshall
Los Angeles

newmanium (original poster)

#7: Post by newmanium (original poster) »

Heh, don't worry - I won't be doing any repair on my own (unless it was super easy). I'm just trying to get it narrowed down so I'll have an idea of what repair route to go.

It's still under warranty by Seattle Coffee Co., so if it was something major I could send it in... but shipping is insane, so if it's just a minor repair, makes more sense to get a local tech (I assume something like this isn't that expensive, like 100-200?).

Thanks for the help.

HeyHey

#8: Post by HeyHey »

I agree. Listen to Marshall. Call a tech to rebuild your mp head. You do NOT want to get into that unless you have the right tools, and someone who has done it a bunch looking over your shoulder.

Cheers,
Alan
Christopher Scott
LA MARZOCCO HOME

Anvan

#9: Post by Anvan »

You may want to give Clive Coffee in Portland a call - they have sales and service on GS/3. Their LM tech I worked with last year was really good. Very nice people.

HeyHey

#10: Post by HeyHey »

newmanium wrote: (I assume something like this isn't that expensive, like 100-200?).

Thanks for the help.
Don't know about prices, but a good tech should be able to rebuild the paddle valve in less than 30 minutes.

Troubleshooting any additional problems will then take whatever time they take. ;-)

Cheers,
Alan
Christopher Scott
LA MARZOCCO HOME