La Marzocco GS3 Noise and Vibration Problems - Page 8

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
JonR10

#71: Post by JonR10 »

shadowfax wrote:My only other question is, do you have any idea how a guy would go about getting a long (say 48") braided hose that's got 1/4" F BSPP compression fitting with a 90° elbow on one end and a straight 3/8" BSPP compression fitting on the other?
A quick Google turned up these possibilities:

http://www.ushosecorp.com/braided-hose.cfm

http://www.hosesolutions.org.uk/

http://www.acehose.com/stain.htm

http://www.jgbhose.com/
Jon Rosenthal
Houston, Texas

Ken Fox (original poster)

#72: Post by Ken Fox (original poster) »

JonR10 wrote:Ok - this is getting outta hand.
I hit "submit" and it shows me a preview.

I hit submit AGAIN and it shows me ANOTHER preview.

On the third try, it posts two entries (three's a charm I suppose).
This has happened three times in two days, from two different computers (one at work and one at home)
I've had similar problems and when the screen stays frozen after hitting "submit," usually it has posted however you don't get the next screen showing the post. When this happens to me I just open another window on HB to the thread and confirm that my post has in fact posted.

Don't know what the software or hardware cause of this is, however.

ken
What, me worry?

Alfred E. Neuman, 1955

networkcrasher

#73: Post by networkcrasher »

I think the only time it's done that to me is when someone posts as I'm typing a reply. I'm sure you knew it did that, though...

rbh1515

#74: Post by rbh1515 »

Billc wrote:Most all vibration problems have been solved using the above methods. If the hose is still the culprit then you may need to find a longer one. Let me know if this is the case for anyone and I will try to get some from LM for this group at some reduced cost.

Bill
Just thought I resurrect this thread. My vendor has not been able to get ahold of the longer hoses yet and the machine still vibrates. Would love to get it fixed. Has anyone got the longer hose? Bill, not sure how to get ahold of you--will the hoses be available anytime soon.
Rob

Ken Fox (original poster)

#75: Post by Ken Fox (original poster) »

I have had quite a bit of contact with the head tech at La Marzocco USA, mostly about my gigler that kept blocking, but also about the braided hose replacement. A couple of weeks ago I received an email from this technician telling me that the longer hoses would be shipping from Italy (to the USA; don't have a clue about any other location) around the end of January, with receipt obviously later.

ken
What, me worry?

Alfred E. Neuman, 1955

Billc

#76: Post by Billc »

Hoses:
Not sure when but LM is really getting them. I heard from Italy that they had shipped but do not know exactly when.

Longer hoses: Ken, not really sure where to get the longer hose with the angled connector on the other end. I was just thinking that with the GS3's they should have included a longer hose that has a 1/4 BSPP on one end and the 3/8 compression on the other. Since you will not be using the original internal hose for the Pump to Inlet manifold you could use this with a Male/Male connector to join the 2 hoses.

Peppersass: If you are going 8-10 feet away it could pose a problem if it is all vertical. I would try to get as much solid tubing as possible. i.e. short braided line from the pump to a piece of copper tube then another short piece of braided line from the copper tube to the machine. This will prevent a bit of line loss pressure but you will still suffer the pressure loss of the change of height. Maybe mount it to the ceiling in the basement.....?

Bill C

rbh1515

#77: Post by rbh1515 »

Bill,
Thanks for the info!
Rob

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#78: Post by Peppersass »

Billc wrote:Maybe mount it to the ceiling in the basement.....?
Ah. Great idea, Bill. That would cut the distance from the pump to the machine to 4-5 feet. It would still be 3-4 feet of vertical, though. If that's too much, it wouldn't be terribly difficult to put in 1/2" copper tubing for that part of the run.

Here's a photo of the area where the hose from the softening system goes up through the ceiling to the cabinet under the GS/3:

I could mount the pump to the basement ceiling (which is the underside of the first floor), or to one of the joists. As you can see, there's a handy joist to the right (and one you can't see to the left) where I could mount the pump. Does the pump have to be mounted with the intake and outlet up, or can they be horizontal or even pointing down?

I originally put in the PVC pipe to protect the feed and drain lines as they pass through the cabinet above, which contains a lazy susan. The drain hose isn't connected at either end. I was going to attach the drain line to the horizontal PVC in the photo, but that turned out to be a vent line, not a septic drain, and it's probably not a great idea to have a wet vent. So, I'll eventually connect the drain hose at the top of the PVC pipe and connect the latter to a trap and septic line(or, rather, I'll have a licensed plumber do that tricky job!)

Using the PVC for the drain will require drilling a separate set of holes through the cabinet for the GS/3 water feed. That's when I could mount the pump externally and potentially install a short run of 1/2" copper tube for the vertical part (which has the advantage of not needing any further protection from stuff flying off the lazy susan.) I still might have to put in a PVC pipe to protect the pump wires from the GS/3, unless something like Romex would do the job.

erics
Supporter ★

#79: Post by erics »

The pressure "drop" for water due to height differences is ~ 0.433 psi or ~ 0.03 Bar per foot. The pressure drop for water flowing through a reasonable 10' supply like, say, a 3/8" dishwasher SS braid line exists (for sure) but would be difficult to discern on a gage.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

wiz561

#80: Post by wiz561 »

There seems to be a lot of talk about this recently. I'm getting annoyed with all the vibrations too. Like others, I'll pop it open, make some adjustments and it's quiet for a few months, then it'll start buzzing again.

I was hoping somebody could post some detailed instructions on how to remove the pump and motor so it can be outboarded. I saw on gs3, somebody did do this, and it required them removing the steam boiler and who knows what else. I'm pretty handy, but it would be great to know what needs to be removed/moved and how to do it. I know it's asking a lot, but it would be great if somebody could post a tutorial.

Thanks in advanced...