La Marzocco GS/3 - No water from tea/hot water wand

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
johnell

#1: Post by johnell »

Hi there

I've had my GS3 for just over 2 years and had no problems. I use the Tea button to heat the cups but yesterday it stopped working. When I press the button only a small dribble of tepid water comes out.
Everything else on the machine is working as normal and the gauges are also normal.
Any ideas on what could be wrong?
Thanks guys.
John

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by Peppersass »

On the face of it, I would say either the solenoid isn't operating correctly or there's something wrong with the tea water mixing valve.

But I'm wondering if the tea water mixing adjustment wheel under the right side panel might be set all the way on (i.e., max cold water mixed in.) My machine is off so I can't test this, but possibly in that position it cuts the flow to a dribble (can't say I've ever adjusted the valve that far.) What I'm thinking is that maybe the wheel got turned unintentionally last time you moved the machine or removed/replaced the right side panel.

Certainly wouldn't hurt to run the wheel back and forth between the extremes to see if that has any effect.
If not, then I'd suspect a blockage in the tea water mixing valve or a bad solenoid.

johnell (original poster)

#3: Post by johnell (original poster) »

Thanks Dick,
Tried your suggestion with the wheel but no luck. Guess it must be the solenoid or valve.
John

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by Peppersass »

Another possibility is a bad SCR in the brain box. Not sure how the tea water circuit is wired, but I think they use an SCR to energize the solenoid. It's possible the SCR isn't developing enough voltage to fully operate the solenoid.