La Marzocco GS3 MP high water consumption

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
DaumierS

#1: Post by DaumierS »

Brewtus IV-R, my old machine, did not use much water. My new baby, GS3, makes fantastic coffee, much better. It is also very forgiving, my shots are consistently good. However, I need to add water to the tank regularly (it is not plumbed in), almost on the daily bases, even though I make only 4, 5, 6 shots a day. And the water tray is somehow always full. With my old Brewtus I needed to empty the tray may be 5 times less often, the change is dramatic.

Is it normal? 1/2 or 1/3 gallons for just 5-6 shots of espresso? Does pressure-profiling contribute to this phenomenon, may be?

erics
Supporter ★

#2: Post by erics »

Long story short, all is normal with your machine.

As you "pressure profile", the excess flow is led to the drip tray and thus . . . frequent trips to the sink.

This particular machine is best used with a plumb-in/plumb-out arrangement but that is not always possible. It can certainly function "just right" as you have it but there does exist that PITA filling and emptying.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Advertisement
DaumierS (original poster)

#3: Post by DaumierS (original poster) »

Thank you, Eric, this is what I thought. By the way, years ago I read your paper on what water should we use for espresso machines, thanks so much for writing it. Very informative and useful!

erics
Supporter ★

#4: Post by erics »

DaumierS wrote:By the way, years ago I read your paper on what water should we use for espresso machines, thanks so much for writing it. Very informative and useful!
Well . . . certainly thank you. There exists much info on water for espresso machines but it really boils down to the ability to discern the difference in taste. Perhaps, more later as I am heading to nighty, night.
Skål,

Eric S.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by FotonDrv »

Thanks for this Thread and your input Eric :)
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

erics
Supporter ★

#6: Post by erics »

By the way, years ago I read your paper on what water should we use for espresso machines, thanks so much for writing it. Very informative and useful!
That wasn't me . . . more than likely it was Jim Schulman. It is available here: http://users.rcn.com/erics/Water%20Quality/

Another good thread: Good references on water treatment for coffee/espresso
Skål,

Eric S.

Euology101

#7: Post by Euology101 »

Not sure what your set up looks like, but I did this with my GS3. It's not plumbed in, but to say the water lasts a lot longer, would be an understatement.

Apologize for the mess, the doors were off the cabinets at the time of the photo.

Advertisement
uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by uscfroadie »

DaumierS wrote:Brewtus IV-R, my old machine, did not use much water. My new baby, GS3, makes fantastic coffee, much better. It is also very forgiving, my shots are consistently good. However, I need to add water to the tank regularly (it is not plumbed in), almost on the daily bases, even though I make only 4, 5, 6 shots a day. And the water tray is somehow always full. With my old Brewtus I needed to empty the tray may be 5 times less often, the change is dramatic.

Is it normal? 1/2 or 1/3 gallons for just 5-6 shots of espresso? Does pressure-profiling contribute to this phenomenon, may be?
I heard the exhaust flow is up there when pressure profiling with the new conical vale, especially against a blank. That would explain your high water usage and your drip tray filling so rapidly.

You can easily check a machine by looking at the left hand side (steam wand side) of your drip tray (need to peak through or remove your drip tray cover) as you are pressure profiling a shot. The water shooting out into the drip tray is the excess pressure exiting the brew path at the exhaust port. I have the older Rhyton shaft, which was far less prone to this, though some people saw their fair share of excess exhaust flow.

Here is a video Viernes made to show how much exhaust his GS/3 had when profiling against a blank basket. Exhaust flow when be less when actually pulling a shot due to puck absorption.

FWIW, I fill my tank up once a week.
Merle

DaumierS (original poster)

#9: Post by DaumierS (original poster) »

Euology101 wrote:Not sure what your set up looks like, but I did this with my GS3. It's not plumbed in, but to say the water lasts a lot longer, would be an understatement.

Apologize for the mess, the doors were off the cabinets at the time of the photo.
I did the same for my old Brewtus! But GS3 is in a different place and I don't have space. I can add the water, not a problem, just wanted to know if it is normal. Thanks. By the way, here is my current setup:

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by FotonDrv »

In regards to the water consumption from the bleeding of water from the excess pump pressure as the ramp up is occurring, why would it not be possible to have that excess water dump back into the tank??
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train