La Marzocco GS3 - Dispersion Screen Is Loose

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
rnshaw

#1: Post by rnshaw »

I just changed the group head gasket and cleaned the dispersion screen. When I reinstalled the screen, the screw is tight but the screen is still loose. Thoughts?

javabob
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by javabob »

Happened to me, too! It was with the IMS screen just a few months old. Wasn't sure if it harmed the shots or not so just replaced it.

Advertisement
rnshaw (original poster)

#3: Post by rnshaw (original poster) »

1. Took off gasket.
2. Took off screen.
3. Put on gasket.
4. Put on screen.

Reversing 3 & 4 may do the trick if gasket is providing friction. I replaced an 8/9 mm gasket with a 6/7 mm which could be the problem. However, I thought the two were independent.

rnshaw (original poster)

#4: Post by rnshaw (original poster) »

The problem was the thinner gasket. I put a new thicker one on, and it worked. There is an inner raised ridge that the screen seats against.

I don't like the thicker gasket, portafilter is at about 7:30 fully locked. There may be a different screen design I can try. I have a silicone gasket on order. Ppl who use them like them better than rubber. I would like the portafilter around 6:00 if possible.

caffeinezombie

#5: Post by caffeinezombie »

If you really want it to be at 6 I think its possible to file down the portafilter ears so that it fits?

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by uscfroadie replying to caffeinezombie »

A better option for modifying your portafilter, if you absolutely MUST have it at 6 o'clock, is to remove the basket and sand the top lip; allows the basket to sit deeper in the portafilter. Very easy to do - just lay it face down on a flat surface with 1,000 grit sandpaper. Rub the portafilter (basket removed) in a figure 8 pattern, checking your fit along the way. Keep in mind that this is non-reversable.

Your other option is to just use the machine and portafilter as it was designed from the factory. It's not as if the portafilter backs out at 7 o'clock position.
Merle

danetrainer

#7: Post by danetrainer »

There are two sizes of group gaskets available, the LM have a conical shape and I believe the sizing is 6/8 & 7/9, if I remember correctly.

Advertisement
caffeinezombie

#8: Post by caffeinezombie »

uscfroadie wrote:A better option for modifying your portafilter, if you absolutely MUST have it at 6 o'clock, is to remove the basket and sand the top lip; allows the basket to sit deeper in the portafilter. Very easy to do - just lay it face down on a flat surface with 1,000 grit sandpaper. Rub the portafilter (basket removed) in a figure 8 pattern, checking your fit along the way. Keep in mind that this is non-reversable.

Your other option is to just use the machine and portafilter as it was designed from the factory. It's not as if the portafilter backs out at 7 o'clock position.
Sounds like a good idea! It did bug me for awhile when the machine was new but now that I've gotten used to it I don't really care that much anymore...

Also, it is less of a problem when I'm using the naked portafilter since you don't have the spouts being not parallel with the machine.