La Marzocco GS3 and Strada Paddles - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
shadowfax
Team HB

Postby shadowfax » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:29 am

The Synesso Hydra is 1 pump per group. I understand you can get just about any La Marzocco machine this way as well, but I've heard the lead times on that configuration are significant.
Nicholas Lundgaard

coffee & espresso equipment and accessories
HB

Postby HB » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:32 am

Same for the La Marzocco EP.
Dan Kehn

napierzaza

Postby napierzaza » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:05 pm

So is this different for other multi group machines? Or just the Pressure Profiled ones?

shadowfax
Team HB

Postby shadowfax » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:10 pm

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but I will say that 1 pump/group is a very rare and relatively new thing in espresso machines. 1 pump per machine, regardless of the number of groups, is typical, indeed virtually ubiquitous. The Hydra was the first machine I heard of doing this, and it seems that La Marzocco has followed suit with the Strada and with adding the option to their other machines as BTO. I don't know of anyone else doing the same thing.

It's also not strictly required for pressure profiling. I believe the Slayer has only one pump, but uses needle valves and bypasses and the like to achieve pressure profiling on each independent group.
Nicholas Lundgaard

napierzaza

Postby napierzaza » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:49 pm

You appears that you have assumed the correct thing with my question! Thanks.

mitch236

Postby mitch236 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:57 pm

Now that I've successfully added pre-infusion to my single group/pump Linea, the next step is to design a mid pressure setup to complete my profiling project. In my mind, I want it all to be programmable and repeatable. But aside from awesome shots from Caffe Streets using the Hydra and Ipsento using Chad's awesome modified Linea, I haven't been impressed with machines that just have paddles that add pre-infusion only. I think to get the real advantage of pressure profiling, the machine needs a middle pressure and ramp up/down control.