La Cimbali M32 Bistro - in need of help

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
aschulhoff

#1: Post by aschulhoff »

Hello,

I am new to posting on this forum though I have read it on and off over the years.

I just picked this machine up from a local restaurant which upgraded. They had never used the water tank, instead it was always plumbed direct to a water source. I was told it was working fine when they replaced it with two smaller pod machines.

I filled up the water reservoir and plugged it in. I can hear the pump running for about a min or two before it stops and the digital display reads "no water". I took the sides off the machine and it looks like the water tube from the bottom of the reservoir has been disconnected from wherever it went and its zip tied closed. I also noticed that the probes in the reservoir have had their electrical leads disconnected and the wires connected directly together. I presume the restaurant must have had this machine set up to bypass the reservoir all together.

I'd like to set I back up to use the reservoir instead of being plumbed directly to water.

here are a few photos. If anyone can help direct me where the kinked off reservoir tube needs to go that would be fantastic!

PS. I've seen some small live roaches scurrying around inside there. SICK! so I've got this thing outside encapsulated by a contractors trash bag. Anyone know how you get roaches out of an espresso machine?

Advertisement
aschulhoff (original poster)

#2: Post by aschulhoff (original poster) »

ok,

I went to the local hardware store and picked up some converters and hooked up the machine to my garden hose. It all works perfectly... until I put espresso in the portafilter and pull a shot. Then water spills out all around the portafilter. I presume there must be some kind of gasket at the grouphead that's gone bad? I've tried to take the grouphead off by removing the three nuts around it and a few screws but it doesn't want to come free, can anyone offer me some direction?

Thanks!

#3: Post by aschulhoff (original poster) »

I've placed an order at espressoparts.com for a replacement 9mm gasket and I threw two paper 70 spacers in the cart as well. I haven't figured out how to get the group head to come free though I did find a video of someone putting one back on haha. I'm thinking since the brass was hot maybe the metal was expanded? with hope it will come off tomorrow.

gor

#4: Post by gor »

Hi
If you have taken off the three nuts, then maybe you can use the group handle and give it a twist(tighten) into the group head.
This will act to lever the two components apart. Obviously all the crud up there is keeping it stuck.

PS do it gently but with force, you can't break any of the group head components as its solid brass.

java_hound

#5: Post by java_hound »

first off - download the manual if you haven't already.
I don't see the pump anywhere in your photos, but thats where the water tank should be hooked up to.

To remove the group bell, unscrew the 2 screws holding the grey shroud on, and remove the 3 tapered bolts from the bell. I'm not sure if the m32 uses a different size taper for the front bolt, you might want to keep track of exactly which bolt came from what hole. Then, as gor said, place your portafilter in the group and tighten it firmly, the bell should come off onto the portafilter. when replacing the bell, make sure you don't over tighten the bolts... they can snap off (speaking from experience).

Disclaimer: I've only worked with m30 machines, but the m32 looks to have a similar but compressed design.

#6: Post by aschulhoff (original poster) »

Hello! Thank you guys for the reply. I did end up using the portafilter to twist/push the grouphead collar off. the gasket came out with it in many pieces. I cleaned everything and installed just the replacement gasket without the paper spacer and it works like a charm. the water coming out smelled odd so I ran descaler through the machine which came out emerald green so i did it again which came out slightly green.

Now my only issue is that the steam is very wet and smells like milk was drawn back into the boiler.

so far I have I disconnected the fill water sensor, turned on the machine, and opened the steam wand which acted as an air intake and let me drain the boiler at its drain nut. Surprisingly clear, odorless, normal tasting water came out. Any ideas what I should try next to correct the wet smelly steam?

#7: Post by aschulhoff (original poster) »

Ok, I ran steam (and unfortunately water) through the wand until there was little to no pressure left. I let the pressure build back up and started to do it again only the water fill kicked in and soon after plenty of water started coming out of the steam wand again (like I when I first cut it on). So I'm thinking its got something to do with the water fill probe? I turned the machine off, I'm sure it'll be a few hours till its cool enough. I'll pull the probe out of the boiler and see if its crusty. Is there something else I should check?

Advertisement

#8: Post by aschulhoff (original poster) »

I removed the boiler fill sensor. the nut came loose easily but the metal rod needed some steady strong pulling to slowly remove. It was a little blackened, certainty a layer of build up. I scrubbed it which removed everything but a small baked on brown patch on the first 1/2" of the tip. I used emery cloth to sand it off. I added a little more bend to the rod where it was factory bent just to lower the depth a little more (I may bend it a little further). The steam is almost normal now, its certainty passable but it could be dryer. If I had to put a percentage to what was coming out I'd say it was originally 60% steam and 40% water. Now id say its more like 98% steam and 3% water, though its hard to tell what is coming out as water now vs what's condensing in the glass (though the glass is hot and I have already purged).

I think I'm ready to pull a real shot on it.