KvdW Spirit and lungo optimized preinfusion

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
chris_n

#1: Post by chris_n »

there's an option to order groups on the spirit that are optimized for brewing lungos...what exactly does kees change to the preinfusion on the spirit to optimize for this? is the ramp even slower than normal?

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by JohnB. »

I would think that they'd be going the other direction; faster ramp, for Lungos. Might be as simple as a larger jet?? .7mm instead of .6mm?
LMWDP 267

Advertisement
chris_n (original poster)

#3: Post by chris_n (original poster) »

faster ramp! interesting concept. It was suggested that i reach out directly to kees, and i might just do that if nobody here has the answer.

i hate pestering them with non business related questions just to satiate my curiosity :)

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by JohnB. »

They are always willing to answer questions related to how their machines work. I'm sure that either Kees or Coen will answer your question. Let us know what they have to say.
LMWDP 267

LaMarzooka

#5: Post by LaMarzooka »

So my curiosity got the better of me, Chris. :oops: John was on the right track as usual; they simply fit a larger jet into the housing which may be done on a per-group basis.
Changing the size of the in-line restrictor will change the pre-infusion characteristic of that group. A small-opening restrictor (0.5 or 0.6 mm diameter) is best for (double) espressos, a restrictor with larger opening (0.8 or 1.0 mm diameter) allows for faster pre-infusion, ergo more coffee-grounds or coarser grind as used in lungos.

To change the in-line restrictor, the machine must be opened and another restrictor installed. Not much or difficult work, but the machine must be shut off and disconnected from water mains during the change.

Each group can thus have a specific in-line restrictor to optimise results for different kinds of coffee-based drinks.

There is no upgrade kit, anyone can order individual restrictors. Easiest is to exchange the complete restrictor (restrictor with housing-fitting, screen and O-ring). These are available in a few varieties:

MSR-B035-C06 0.6 mm complete with fitting, etc.
MSR-B035-C08 0.8mm
MSR-B035-C10 1.0mm

Other sizes have to be assembled by the consumer.

With kind regards,
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Dr. Coen ten Brink
technical support ● research & development
Espresso or no go!