Just scored? A like new red Nuova Simonelli Oscar for $575.

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
LukeFlynn

#1: Post by LukeFlynn »

So, I've been lurking on eBay while selling my Silvia (Sold for $600.) and came across a red oscar that had been used rarely for $800, I offered the seller $575 and they accepted. I would've rather had a Breville DB but I couldn't find a used one anywhere that wasn't overpriced and SCG no longer carries refurbs :(. I am now wondering anything I should know about the Oscar.. I know Silvia has quite a few charms so I'm wondering if the Oscar has anything like that or is it more of a forgiving machine?

Compass Coffee

#2: Post by Compass Coffee »

Biggest gotcha I know of with Oscar is no anti-vacuum valve which equals false boiler pressure on power up. Need to bleed steam wand. Beyond that usual HX machine usage i.e. learn it's temp swings.
Mike McGinness

LukeFlynn (original poster)

#3: Post by LukeFlynn (original poster) replying to Compass Coffee »

So typical flush, etc? Is it going to be a huge problem to leave it on 24/7? I've been known to do that.

Compass Coffee

#4: Post by Compass Coffee replying to LukeFlynn »

I've never personally used an Oscar so don't know how to best manage it's temperature. Not all HX machines require the same flush routine!
See Dan's Ideal brew temperature management by HX espresso machine type

As far as leaving on 24/7 much safer than leaving Miss Silvia on 24/7 since Oscar has boiler auto-fill and Missy does not. Back in the day I too was known to leave Missy on overnight sometimes... Fortunately the steam wand was off tight so didn't leak of steam/water and run the boiler dry - which can and has happened to some!
Mike McGinness

benpiff

#5: Post by benpiff »

I haven't heard of anyone doing that with an Oscar, but I think leaving it on all day is pretty standard. Not sure how long its pressurestat will hold up, might need to be upgraded to a more robust commercial unit. When I had one, I'd run it on an appliance timer to have it warm up a bit before I wake up. Then I'd open the wand a little to get rid of the false pressure, let it boil all the way up, and flush some ounces of hot water through the group to ensure warm up.

I already had some hx cooling flush experience, and found the Oscar to be an easy machine to get great shots from. And if I'd searched on how to install and adjustable OPV and vacuum breaker, it'd be even better. I wonder if I still have my Oscar bottomless in a drawer...do you need one?

#6: Post by LukeFlynn (original poster) replying to benpiff »

Thanks for the offer, I already purchased a bottomless PF for Silvia that I am not sending with the machine. Thanks for that info! :)

AtlGator

#7: Post by AtlGator »

Hi, long time reader, first time poster. Been online about coffee for 14 years or so, happy to be here.

I've owned an Oscar from new for the last two years. It has been on for most of the time, save for a few weeks out of the home.

Yes, it benefits (as do ALL HEX machines) from a cooling flush - I use that water to preheat my cups. I run it until the steam subsides, usually 2-3 ozs. If the Oscar is ten years old or newer, it likely has a Sirai pressurestat. It IS a professional pressurestat that can take much more abuse than the little thumbnail 'stats on most prosumer machines.

The best source of rational advice for the Oscar that I've found is here - http://www.elektros.it/en/tips-and-tricks.html.

People love to point out the obvious: plastic shell, no hot water tap, how do you descale??, etc. Here's what I've found after two years:

The machine is the coolest espresso machine (to the touch) I've ever owned. Fits under cabinets with room to spare. Cleans up with a quick wipe of a rag. Moves around easily to assist with water replenishment. Don't miss the hot water dispenser - old stale copper boiler water doesn't taste very good anyway! And you DON'T NEED TO DESCALE THE BOILER -- maybe the heat exchanger inside one day - if your water is hard, or you turn the thing on and off every day for years, otherwise don't fret the BOILER.

It steams like a monster with rapid-fire recovery. The stock four-hole tip is suitable only for larger quantities of milk, get the two-hole tip that can be found online to dial back the pressure and permit proper rolling of milk in smaller quantities.

Enjoy your new machine! e

#8: Post by LukeFlynn (original poster) replying to AtlGator »

Thanks alt, couldn't agree more on the hot water thing I already don't use it on my Silvia, I just get water from the group to preheat my cups so a cooling flush will be a 2 in 1 type thing. People are always like well you can use the spigot for tea.. It's not at a good tea temperature and generally you aren't buying an espresso machine to make tea.

benpiff

#9: Post by benpiff »

LukeFlynn wrote:Thanks for the offer, I already purchased a bottomless PF for Silvia that I am not sending with the machine. Thanks for that info! :)
FYI buddy, pretty sure Simonelli's group is quite different from the Silvia and E61. But you can use Gaggia portafilters. Have fun!

#10: Post by LukeFlynn (original poster) replying to benpiff »

I know the group is drastically different, but the format is the same as most 58mm groups.. I know it takes a La Marzocco PF and the Silvia does too, so shouldn't be an issue.