Just received used Giotto with small leak

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
docdvm

#1: Post by docdvm »

Bought a Giotto Premium from another coffee lover . Received today. I unpacked the machine which was very well packed. The machine had some recent repairs in particular,
polished boiler probe
installed commercial pressurestat
replaced steam wand gaskets
replaced in line water filter
cleaned grouphead replaced gasket and screen
Gicar Control Box
Antisyphon valve

All completed in past 60 days

So I filled the water reservoir and turned the machine on. Within a few seconds as the pressure just started to increase there appeared a drip under the machine about 1 drop per second.

This is a new machine to me and although there are many sites describing the innards and repairs , does anyone have any idea how I should proceed? I am guessing that the leak must be associated with a stuck valve or a loose hose. In the morning I will disassemble the top and side and then have a look albeit with not a particularly trained eye. I guess it is time to learn.

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

docdvm wrote:Within a few seconds as the pressure just started to increase there appeared a drip under the machine about 1 drop per second... does anyone have any idea how I should proceed?
Based on the little information you've provided, I cannot offer a guess any better than you can. Assuming you're handy, i.e., you are comfortable with basic home repairs, it's not difficult to find the source of a leak (loose or cracked fitting, loose hose, etc.). Needless to say, remember to unplug it and let it cool before investigating further.
DISCLAIMER wrote:The Home-Barista.com forums are provided for informational purposes only. Espresso equipment contains controls and conduits for electricity, very hot water, steam and high water pressure. Attempting repairs, modifications, alterations, or diagnoses of such equipment yourself could result in serious injury or death to yourself and to others and the destruction of property by fire and other causes. We accept no responsibility for any injuries or losses resulting from any attempt to perform equipment repairs, modifications, alternations, or diagnoses based on information from Home-Barista.com.
Dan Kehn

docdvm (original poster)

#3: Post by docdvm (original poster) »

I realize that there is little information. I am assuming that most likely the leak will be related to the water reservoir or the tubing leading from it as the leak started as soon as the pump started to fill the boiler. I doubt that it would be related to high pressure and possible something was loosened during shipping. The water reservoir was in the machine when shipped so I guess that gasket can be affected also.

I just thought that maybe someone had the same problem at some time and may be able to guide me.

O and 1 more point. The water dripping under the machine is not hot.

docdvm (original poster)

#4: Post by docdvm (original poster) »

OK
Removed the top and side . Not too difficult . There are 3 hoses coming out of the water reservoir receptor. One is most likely an air valve as it is not attached to anything. It was lying along the floor with its opening just where the water was leaking out. I assume that if it is to prevent an airlock that it must be attached at a higher level, no? I do not see a clip or where it should go. It seems to be an easy fix if this is what it is.

Please help.

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

Sounds like the OPV overflow tube:

FYI, there are a few related topics in the FAQs and Favorites under "Vibratory Pumps".
Dan Kehn

docdvm (original poster)

#6: Post by docdvm (original poster) »

I believe the problem is solved. There are 3 tubes exiting the reservoir. One is a breather tube (if that is what it is called) that is supposed to sit above the water line. It is the middle tube, I think. There is a holder for that tube on the left of the reservoir. I placed the tuber into the hole in the holder and voila, all is well! I guess that during shipping the tube fell out of the holder and was lying on the floor of the machine. It then leaked at the lower left corner of the machine and dripped onto the counter.