Just got a Pavoni Pub-have questions of course

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Tom@Steve'sEspresso

#1: Post by Tom@Steve'sEspresso »

Hey all,
Just received this Pub S off the truck yesterday. Scored it on the bigE last week, it has the brass panel package...
Anyhow, the machine looks really clean inside. My guess is that somebody else has gone over this machine because there is writing all over the innards as you'll see in the pics that follow. I can't tell the age either yet but the serial is 17344.

My main concerns are:
1- In picture 1, should there be a connection to the right most upper boiler fitting? It's the one dubbed "F$%K this". I'm guessing that the fitting is a water probe. I've seen in other postings that the electrical connection can be made there or at the top of the sight glass, which is where my machine is connected.

2- There is a loose wire and I'm assuming it may be for the pump. But it emanates from very low in the electrical "brain" and is from slot numbered 5. See picture 2.

3- The grouphead has a solenoid underneath it. It seems like an odd placement for that solenoid. Is this a normal placement? The group head also looks like it could be used for the older manual style heads that have the magnet donut attached.. yes? I saw that post in here somewhere.

I don't have a pump for this machine yet and I'm wondering if it's possible to install a rotary inside the frame somewhere, or should I use an external setup.

Please have a look and see what you think

Thanks
Tom

LMWDP #222
Live graciously
Be kind
Have fun

Psyd

#2: Post by Psyd »

Welcome to my world! I have the two group version. Nope, the solenoid is right where it's supposed to be. Of course, finding parts for this beastie is a bit of an issue. Last I heard, Joel at Espresso Liquidators was going to go through a pile of parts that he had, and had a list of these somewhere. I might be able to mail you some of the documentation I got from him, and check things (that haven't already been disassembled) on mine if you wish.

See mine here
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

Tom@Steve'sEspresso (original poster)

#3: Post by Tom@Steve'sEspresso (original poster) »

Hey I did see your posts on the 2 group. I'm not sure though if I'm going to hang on to this one or pass it on but so far it seems like a solid machine. It's amazingly clean inside and hardly any rust. I don't have a pumpset for it yet but I'm starting to look around for that. The only other question I have now is if there is a connection missing off the gicar. The "0" pole and the "-" pole have a connection to them but the "+" does not. (This is my first foray into a machine).

How's your machine doing BTW?
LMWDP #222
Live graciously
Be kind
Have fun

stefano65
Sponsor

#4: Post by stefano65 »

The water level probe will need to be connected or the machine will auto fill and never stop as soon as you
well....... attach a motor and the pump
I don't recall enough space for a rpm motor and pump no even the smaller version
you shouldn't use a vibrating pump
so go external like the machine was design
it will be also quieter and less vibration

the wire if green or white could be the autofill to attache to the probe
the pump should have a "morsettiera" ( connecting strip) on the top right side

OK I TAKE BACK THE AUTOFILL PART LOOKS LIKE IS ATTACHED TO THE PROBE IN THE SIGHT GLASS SO THAT PART SHOULD BE OK. SOMEBODY PUT THAT INSTEAD OF THE ANTI-VACUUM VALVE
SO IF I WERE YOU I WOULD MOVE THE AUTOFILL BACK TO THE BOILER AND INSTALL THE ANTI-VACUUM ON TOP OF THE SIGHT GLASS
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.

stefano65
Sponsor

#5: Post by stefano65 »

ps MAKE SURE TO FILL THE BOILER MANUALLY AT LEAST COVERING THE HEATING ELEMENT BEFORE TURNING THE POWER ON
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care

#6: Post by Tom@Steve'sEspresso (original poster) »

AHA...those HILLBILLYS!!...Grazie.
LMWDP #222
Live graciously
Be kind
Have fun

#7: Post by Tom@Steve'sEspresso (original poster) »

the water probe in the sightglass was connected with blue wire going to slot number 6 on the strip low down on the control box. Is that where the connection should originate? I guess a wire schematic would help...anyone?

T
LMWDP #222
Live graciously
Be kind
Have fun

Psyd

#8: Post by Psyd »

Tom@Steve'sEspresso wrote: The only other question I have now is if there is a connection missing off the gicar. The "0" pole and the "-" pole have a connection to them but the "+" does not. (This is my first foray into a machine).

How's your machine doing BTW?
I've set it aside until I get a dependable source for parts. It's doing just fine after the cleanup, and waiting for me to get a 'round tuit'. I'm about ready, and have contacted some parts vendors to get it underway again. Presently it's under a tarp, but I'll prolly get it out tomorrow to check the gicar connections.
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

stefano65
Sponsor

#9: Post by stefano65 »

if you need to program it it's a pain
but it is possible
take a lot of trial and error but the sliders will have to be doing the trick
take a picture of the connector box and I can tell you the wiring position
email it
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care

#10: Post by Tom@Steve'sEspresso (original poster) »

No time today must cook dinner for guests but tomorrow I will get some pics of the control box and also want to get the element out to see what condition the boiler interior is in. The few smaller connections that I've already removed look pretty good no scale. I'll trace out the wiring and see if anything else is amiss. Should have a pump by next week I hope...

Happy weekend
Tom
LMWDP #222
Live graciously
Be kind
Have fun