Just bought an Ascaso Steel Duo Professional from Craigslist

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
ben8jam

#1: Post by ben8jam »

So I had an impulse buy today. An Ascaso Steel Duo Professional popped up on Craigslist and I got it for $130. Looks like this model goes for ~$600 so figured that was a pretty decent risk/reward. They bought it new in 2011 and had it repaired at an espresso service shop in 2014 for leaks (all new tubing). I have yet to run a shot through, but just curious if anyone had any experience with these. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info on them. It is the older version of this: http://www.ascaso.com/2012/eng/espresso ... teel1.html

It could very well be a dud, but I can probably resell it if so, so not too concerned since it was so cheap. She pointed out the small gasket that attaches to the portafilter spout had snapped and when I got home I saw there was probably a gasket where the filter snaps into the portafilter, as there is a noticeable gap.

Corrosion on the coffee water heater from the leak (and being in Venice salty air) but he said it hadn't caused any issues. There is also a slight burn/melted plastic on one of the connectors that attaches to it. The other heater looks in good shape. (Nice to have dual boilers!)

Other then that it looks pretty good. She gave me the cleaning tabs as well that he had left over.

Any thoughts? I'm excited to hopefully step up to a real machine (from my pressurized PF Mr Coffee) so fingers crossed. Going to have to figure out how to use it. (And I have a Virtuoso grinder which I am now regretting not getting the Preciso, oh well.....)

Advertisement
ben8jam (original poster)

#2: Post by ben8jam (original poster) »

Can't figure out what sized Portafilter it is... (57/58mm?) and if they included the double or single basket. So little info online!

bluesman

#3: Post by bluesman »

Nice machine and great buy! I've never seen a gasket between a PF and a basket, and there's a small gap there on my Oscar's PF. So either that's normal or it's the wrong basket. If it locks into the head properly, it's probably fine.

#4: Post by ben8jam (original poster) »

bluesman wrote: there's a small gap there on my Oscar's PF. So either that's normal or it's the wrong basket. If it locks into the head properly, it's probably fine.
Yes, it snaps in tight, trying to figure out what diameter size it is and if it's a double or single basket. Can't seem to find the gasket online for the spout :/

day

#5: Post by day »

Not wanting to revise and edit my work, I elected to research this for a moment....

EDIT: Found this:

http://emofabrik.dk/espressomaskiner-ka ... e-871.html

Based on the translation and the coffeegeek review, it would appear to be the exact same with a different button layout, and most likely 57mm group.

---------------

I can find a bunch of information on the original Serie Steel...and a bunch of information on the V2 with toggles rather than buttons.

However, based on your manual, which shows the buttons split, 2 Gauge 2 and that yours clearly has 2 boilers of some type with a gauge 4 button, I am assuming yours is the same as this

https://www.coffeegeek.com/proreviews/f ... uo/details

Thus it should be 57mm. Looks to me like someone squeezedin an e61 double basket. This fits with the other information I have read. Also, it would appear one of those is a thermoblock. As far as safety of electrical, I have no idea, but it looks like a great deal on a fairly old machine. I have seen some other 3 buttons, but many of those have only one boiler, listed at 175 or so. The steam thermoblock would be real nice if it keeps the espresso water at the right temp. Alot of great features!
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

day

#6: Post by day »

Still looking, found this
-----
GOT IT:
------------

http://www.chiccoverde.com/uploads/prod ... age_30.JPG placing it as the Uno PM *sorry typing error, meant duo.

they break down with a check list

http://www.chiccoverde.com/ascaso_steel_uno-pr-30.html

I am a little confused about some of the checked and unchecked boxes, it looks like a duo PM then?
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

#7: Post by ben8jam (original poster) »

day wrote:Not wanting to revise and edit my work, I elected to research this for a moment....
Thanks! Nothing like some good coffee research as a helpful distraction. :)

I too came across those links. The pic of the manual I have actually covers five or six of the Steel Series models. Uno, Duo, Triple - plus version with the fully auto push button settings. All the buttons at different placements.

My portafilter filter basket looks a lot different then the deep ones in those pics. It has more gradual sides about half way down. I have read that there is a Pro model that comes with a 58mm PF, but I'm going in circles here trying to figure it out. Where exactly does the PF get measured to determine diameter?

I did see a sticker on the inside that says "1st Line" - So I think I might try and contact them as they were probably the original supplier. I do need to buy a gasket for the PF spout.

Dual boiler is exciting, even though from what reviews I have read, the steam wand is not that great.

Thanks again!

Advertisement

#8: Post by ben8jam (original poster) »

day wrote:Still looking, found this

http://www.chiccoverde.com/uploads/prod ... age_30.JPG placing it as the Uno PM
Ok, so Duo PM for sure. Just with a wrong mislabed PF. Okay great!

#9: Post by ben8jam (original poster) »

And I just returned the Virtuoso and purchased a refurbed Precisio from Baratza. It was driving me nuts. Ended up costing only $6 more. Worth it. Hopefully the refurbs look like new!

bluesman

#10: Post by bluesman »

ben8jam wrote:Can't figure out what sized Portafilter it is... (57/58mm?) and if they included the double or single basket. So little info online!
The data page on 1st Line's website says the Uno has a 58mm group (they don't show a Duo for sale). I doubt that the Duo's is smaller.