Izzo Duetto V.1 pump problem...

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Thatchmo

#1: Post by Thatchmo »

I've had my Duetto now for almost a year....Ordered it last summer and really started using it since December. Have had no issues with it until now.

This morning I pulled a double as usual and started to do my cleaning routine of backflushing water with a blank insert and the pump wouldn't engage. The machine would "hum" as if it were trying to get the pump started, but no water will flow. I checked the steam arm and the hot water spigot and both work fine, but the pump was a no-go. Then the low water alarm went off and I thought that was the issue, but the tank was still half full. I filled the tank, turned the machine off and then on again, and now the hum started immediately, without me flipping the lever, and the temp gauge started climbing from 202 where I keep it, all the way up to 217 in less than a minute!!!! I turned the machine off....Let it rest a few minutes and tried again....

This time, very loud hum, no pump action at all, but the temp stayed stable...

I gave up, went to Sbux for my caffeination and got over being angry that it was Saturday and no one at Chris' Coffee will be around until Monday!

Anyone else have a similar problem? I do a full backflush every 60 shots or two weeks and my water is softened.... it seems as if it might be a pump malfunction.... at least that's my completely un professional guess.

Thanks for any input or ideas or suggestions in advance. I really don't want to have ship it back from LA to NY for repairs...

Kirk

Advertisement
JKolmo

#2: Post by JKolmo »

Huhh, sounds like your pump is shot. No?

Thatchmo (original poster)

#3: Post by Thatchmo (original poster) »

Well, I know it's been said on here a lot but I have to say, Chris' Coffee has great customer support!!!

Chris read my post today and just emailed me and gave me their emergency phone number. On Saturday!!! I will keep everyone posted!

Kirk

Sebastiaan007

#4: Post by Sebastiaan007 »

If you pull the lever down again an open it up again does the pump start then?
If so it's probably the No Water return valve
I barista, do you?

Thatchmo (original poster)

#5: Post by Thatchmo (original poster) »

No, unfortunately it doesn't. I tried flipping the lever up and down numerous times with no luck.

Chris' Coffee tech support called me last night and suggested I take the cover off and see if it's the pump or the pump motor. I will do that this morning....and report.

Kirk

Jeepin' Geo

#6: Post by Jeepin' Geo replying to Thatchmo »

Hi Kirk,

Just wondered if you got this sorted?

George

Sebastiaan007

#7: Post by Sebastiaan007 »

Kirk, is your pump hot when the machine is on?
If so it's the valve.
Thatchmo wrote:No, unfortunately it doesn't. I tried flipping the lever up and down numerous times with no luck.

Chris' Coffee tech support called me last night and suggested I take the cover off and see if it's the pump or the pump motor. I will do that this morning....and report.

Kirk
I barista, do you?

Advertisement
speedstar

#8: Post by speedstar »

Kirk, just curious what the problem was? Did you get it figured out?