Izzo Duetto mkII: OPV rerouting to driptray?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
JKolmo

#1: Post by JKolmo »

I have an Izzo Duetto mkII, which BTW is a lovely machine.

I've seen info that one of the upgraded features compared to the mkI should be OPV rerouting (meaning the OPV water waste is routed into the drip tray, no more caring for reservoir overflow when running the machine in plumbed operation).

My mkII, however, originally had the OPV waste hose routed to the reservoir, and I have made the OPV rerouting mod myself leading the hose through a tiny pre-drilled hole just inside the compartment behind the drip tray and exiting in the small black plastic widget underneath the drip tray.

Does anyone know whether the Duetto mkII is supposed to be originally supplied with the OPV rerouting, or is this something you need to perform yourself? Seems kind of weird to have the OPV waste exiting underneath the drip tray if not having the waste connected also. Or how is the mkII OPV rerouting supposed to be set up? Anyone have a clue?

I just want to make sure my Duetto is up to standard...

JmanEspresso

#2: Post by JmanEspresso »

Recently I had a chance to use a new duetto II. The OPV water should go right into the drip tray. But it isnt a plastic tube like you would have on a pour-over machine.. Its just a metal pipe. I didnt get a great look at it, but I know it isnt plastic.

Does your duetto have dual PID(brew/steam boiler)? Thats probably the most noted change between the 1 & 2.

JKolmo (original poster)

#3: Post by JKolmo (original poster) »

Yeah it has all the other mkII stuff (dual PID, vertically mounted pump, aluminum feet, etc). It's just the OPV rerouting that seems to be lacking. The OPV waste water is led by a standard silicone hose like the mkI. Strangely enough the mkII featured in the Bellabarista.co.uk "closer look" article also seems to be lacking the OPV reroute you mention, see here: http://www.bellabarista.co.uk/pdf/IzzoA ... lookv4.pdf

Maybe early series mkIIs didn't get the rerouting? It would be interesting if anyone with the rerouting in place could post pics on the set up.

jlunavtgrad

#4: Post by jlunavtgrad »

I have the Duetto mark II and I can confirm that there is a thin copper tube that comes in to the drip tray. From what I understand it is water from the OPV because I've only noticed water coming from this line when the machine is heating up. There is also a plastic tube that sends water back to the reservoir. The only time I've observed water flowing in this tube is when the steam boiler is just getting to a boil. I'll hear the machine make noises like a valve opening and closing quickly for a few seconds and then it's quiet. I've assumed that it is the vacuum breaker valve that's making the noise. Would it make sense that this water would be routed back to the reservoir or do I have something wrong?

jlunavtgrad

#5: Post by jlunavtgrad »

As a separate issue, the copper tube that brings the water from the OVP was not well routed when I got my machine. It seems they had to grind a notch out of the back of the drip tray so that the ¼ copper tube could gain access. On my machine the tube was so far back that it didn't even reach the drip tray. It was easy enough to pull the tube out with a pair of pliers, but the notch in the drip tray didn't provide enough space for the tube to fit through. It was an easy fix with a dremel, but I wonder how many machines have the same problem. The tube was so small and far back that it took me a few weeks to figure out where that little puddle of water was coming from (since a leave the brew boiler running 24/7).

JKolmo (original poster)

#6: Post by JKolmo (original poster) »

Hmmm, interesting. So you're having a copper tube AND a silicone hose leading waste water from the OPV. That's odd, what is the reason for having both routings? If you're plumbed in you still need to care for reservoir overflow. Are you sure both the copper tube and the silicone hose come from the OPV?

This makes me wonder if Izzo sort of gradually went from the old silicone hose-to-reservoir solution to the copper tube-to-drip tray solution, and that the OPV rerouting didn't happen over night for the mkII. What is the serial no of your machine? My is no 359.

And also, you wouldn't happen to be able to post a pic of the copper tube exiting in the drip tray? I would love to see how it's done. Thanks!

jlunavtgrad

#7: Post by jlunavtgrad »

To clarify, I am guessing that the plastic tube (the one that goes back to the reservoir) is coming off of the vacuum breaker valve. I am not sure of this since the Duetto is the only machine I have ever used or seen up close. If someone has a better explanation of why I see water going into the reservoir when my steam boiler hits 212 I'd like to know what it is.

jlunavtgrad

#8: Post by jlunavtgrad »

Here is a picture taken from inside the drip tray (note the bottom of the E61). The copper tube poking out is what I believe to be the OVP drain pipe.

JKolmo (original poster)

#9: Post by JKolmo (original poster) »

Thanks for sharing! That is your OPV drain pipe for sure (I only wonder what that second silicone tube of yours exiting in the reservoir is). Now I know how the copper piping is set up. I'll try to make a similar OPV waste routing myself, or maybe it can be provided as an upgrade kit. Sure is strange that not all mkIIs are provided with the copper tube OPV waste routing though.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#10: Post by cannonfodder »

Most machines have a water discharge into the drip tray. However, the ones I have seen do not use that as the OPV discharge. It is the expansion valve for an internal over pressure problem. I.E. when the system heats from a cold start, the cold water in the closed hydraulic system expands. To keep the internal piping from reaching dangerous pressure levels a spring loaded valve will open at around 12 bar to allow the excess pressure to vent. The only other time I have seen an OPV vent to a drip tray was on a direct connect kit for a vibe pump. No water reservoir to vent back to so it vented to the drip tray. down side was the tray filled very fast.
Dave Stephens