Izzo duetto iii steam wand leak

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Kosta

#1: Post by Kosta »

The steam wand of my duetto leaks water/steam when
A. The machine is coming up to pressure
B. The machine is on and I tighten it fully. I don't apply pressure to it, just fully close it. If I stop a few millimetres before it's fully closed it won't lose any steam but it will still leak water when turning the machine on.

It have already seen the thread on the same issue Izzo Duetto steam wand valve repair and followed suggestions but haven't replaced the entire valve yet.

I've undone the tap assembly greased it and reassembled it. I tried reversing the rubber gasket at the end of the valve which didn't solve the problem. Replacing it with a new one didn't work either.

The machine is 6 months old and well looked after. Only used for a couple drinks a day with boiler safe water. It's meant to have one of the new style taps that you can't over tighten anyway.

Any ideas in what might be causing the leak would be much appreciated!

chuckcoffee

#2: Post by chuckcoffee »

Kosta

Very surprised on this robust a machine that this issue would occur. The Alex Duetto 3 I believe comes with a 2 year warranty. This would IMHO be a manufacturing defect. That seal should last significantly longer.

Note: I have the Quick Mill joystick wand on my AD3 so I do not have to deal with this seal issue. Nice upgrade. I still have the knob on my hot water wand and never did like the feel but figured it was that way to ensure it lasted for a long time.

https://www.chriscoffee.com/Joystick-As ... 1&CartID=0

Advertisement
Kosta (original poster)

#3: Post by Kosta (original poster) »

Ok so I think* I found the problem. I replaced the (black) knob of the steam tap with the one in the hot water tap (which was working fine) and it stopped leaking (for now). I noticed that the black knob has a screw on metal cap at the end which effectively pushes the valve in and closes the tap as the knob is screwed in. This had somehow come loose on the steam wand knob. I tried to screw it back on but it's unclear to me how to do that as my finger won't reach properly (it's recessed). There seem to be a couple of very subtle markings on it that a tool of sorts could be inserted into so that it can be screwed properly but not sure what tool to use. The right size Phillips screwdriver might do it. For now it seems that the torque I can apply with my fingers is not enough and it comes lose again as soon as I try to use it.

Very odd design..not sure why they would allow this part to unscrew anyway. The slots/markings to screw it on are so subtle that i have my doubts on whether I could apply enough torque to screw it on tightly enough. Maybe some threadlocker too. Have you seen this before? what tool am I meant to use?