Izzo Alex Duetto Leak

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Bear007

#1: Post by Bear007 »

So my machine has been leaking if it sits cold for more than 24 hours, if I turn it on in the morning and at night it does not leak, when it is powered up after it has leaked the pump always turns on. I figured it had to be the steam coil but after taking the bottom off tonight the only thing I could see was a small bit of rust and a black spot around one of the fittings, there was also small amount of moisture in the pump drain tube.

Here are a couple of pictures, you really can't see much from these.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, Thank You.

schwaggy

#2: Post by schwaggy »

If it leaks when cold it's most likely a boiler gasket. Mine did it so bad the first time it completely ruined our counter tops and we had to rip it all out and repair the kitchen :shock: Mine didn't show any real indication of a leak most likely because the water dips straight down and doesn't really sit on any parts for very long. You'll have to get it cool and watch for the drips.

Chris' has sent me 3 sets of free gaskets, the last set being silicon. The original Teflon gasket is simply too hard of a material.

I'd give a call to wherever you purchased.

You will need a large socket, I believe 1 7/16"
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006M ... UTF8&psc=1

I used an impact driver to get the heating element off.

cartnj

#3: Post by cartnj »

And good luck finding that socket!
And it has to be a deep socket. I gave up after 2 weeks trying to locate the proper socket and just shipped it back to he supplier.

Bear007 (original poster)

#4: Post by Bear007 (original poster) »

I think I found it, I just hope I can turn that out without pulling everything, do I just use Teflon tape or a liquid sealer, I noticed an orange sealant around most of the fittings.

schwaggy

#5: Post by schwaggy »

cartnj wrote:And good luck finding that socket!
And it has to be a deep socket. I gave up after 2 weeks trying to locate the proper socket and just shipped it back to he supplier.
Good luck finding it? I linked directly to it. :roll:

floydo

#6: Post by floydo »

If I remember correctly ChrisCoffee uses Teflon tape. I have used it successfully. If it is the 90deg fitting then you need to take the tubing off with a flare wrench (hold the 90deg fitting at the same time so it doesn't twist in the tank, remove the 90deg fitting with a crescent or equivalent grabbing the flats of the vertical part (no socket would work), clean the threads, 3 wraps of tape, and back together.....
Also it looks like the foreground fitting with dark areas (corrosion?) may have leaked, but maybe has sealed itself....
Another check, is to remove one or both of the tank heater element wires, power up the machine and look for leaks....this eliminates the leak high evaporative rate aspects of the high temps.
Cheers

#7: Post by Bear007 (original poster) »

I did seal up the fitting this weekend, there's not much room to work under there but I think I got it, I won't know till it sits for a full 24hrs, if not and I have to seal the other one I will probably take the tank out. I did use Teflon, I never thought about pulling the wires to check for leaks, that's a very good idea, if it still leaks I'll give it a shot. Thanks for all the help guys.

#8: Post by Bear007 (original poster) »

Just in case someone else comes up with this problem, I did have to pull the steam boiler and replace the gasket on the coil, I used a 1"7/16 socket and a impact gun with no problems. I resealed the fittings at the bottom with Teflon tape, be careful of the order in which they go back, if you put the coil in first you can't swing one of the fittings :oops: . It still hasn't sat cold for more than 24hrs but I'm fairly confident I fixed the problem this time. Chris's coffee helped me out a great deal, they are a good bunch of people.

toff

#9: Post by toff »

Greetings. My Alex Duetto 3.0 has had about three years of light household use and is plumbed for fresh water supply and drain pan drainage. In the first year it developed a steam leak and a water leak and I shipped it back to Chris Coffee. For the last few weeks it leaks a couple tablespoons of water only after it's first turned on in the morning or immediately after brewing. Otherwise and when it's powered off, it does not leak. I took off the bottom cover and by putting (waterproof) iPhone 7 camera under the drip I was able to determine water leaking around the brew boiler heating element.

I have an 18 volt impact wrench, I've ordered the 1 7/16" socket referenced above. The heater gasket at Chris Coffee seems to be out of stock though they expect shipment again soon.

Is there any downside to making this repair? Is this considered a maintenance item that needs to be replaced on a continuing basis and can all the parts withstand periodic disassembly and reassembly? At the present my leak occurs at certain times and it's not too much water- I have a dish rack drainer tray in place now.

If I move forward with the gasket replacement...

1. Do you need to hold the boiler with a strap wrench to protect the assembly from the force of the impact wrench while loosening and tightening? Any hints about best way to achieve this access?

2. Do I use a couple layers of ordinary Teflon tape across the threads of the heater when I replace it?

3. How much torque or how do you know when the heater is tight enough?

Here's a video of the leak.

Thank you for your feedback.

wayne0206

#10: Post by wayne0206 replying to toff »

Same problem with mine. Mine leaked from day 1 and damaged the top of my wooden cart. I replaced the factory gasket with a hard white one from Chris coffee. It leaked again about a year later. Replaced it about a month ago.

1) I did not have to strap down the boiler using the impact gun to loosen the heating element. Same as I tighten it back. Be sure to mark all the wires and terminal before disconnecting them. Be sure all wires will be snug tight as you plug them back. Loosen it as the machine sits upright to allow water drain to a bucket.
2) the way its design I don't think teflon tape would be any useful. Once you take it out you will know what I mean. There is no teflon from the factory. The replacement hard plastic gasket fits perfectly in the grove.
3) I tighten it up as much as I could. Based on how easy it was to loosen it up I don't think it needs a lot or torque to tighten up. I would put it back then watch for a few days if it leaks before you put the cover back. If it drips then tighten it some more. In fact mine is still uncover. I'll close it probably this weekend.

This is a design flaw of the duetto 3 and was told it's a common problem.