Izzo Alex Duetto issues?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
hadriano

#1: Post by hadriano »

Hello all
This is my first post in this extraordinary site.
I live/work in Italy, but I'm not italian.
I tried to buy a Vibiemme but because is complicate( I dont agree to pay 100% more)
in final I bought a Izzo Alex Duetto( a good occasion, and good price).My previous machines was gaggia pure color and gaggia MDF. :oops:
OK, this is story.After 2 days of use, I have a few questions about Alex Duetto.
1.When I try to make cappuccino, I receive more, very more water before steam.And the water come again
in time when I try to make latte.Is normal?
2.When I make espresso, I see the time between my movement of lever and first drop of coffee, is very long,
in general 15 seconds.Again, is normal?With my gaggia pure,vibratory, was more short, max 5-7 sec.
If i respect the rule with max 30 sec after action of pomp,for me remain 10-15 sec of effective extraction.
Another impressions:
- was necessary to cut a little piece of plastic from tank because the tubes was strangled.
The hole in chassis is not aligned with nothing in tank.Not important, only a little intervention.
- I.m not sure if the sensor of low water function.I try one time to see the sound but I dont receive nothing.
- very heavy machine, only demountable housing I believe have 7 kilograms, double walls, good but...more stainless steel
from what?
To not be only critical, the machine is nice,solid, good (not very good design),quality materials and components.
I speak same a design engineer,this is my job,and I permit to give my opinion about this.Another not "perfect"
aspects is little distance between group and tray ( with two cappuccino cups is difficult/impossible to move lever), very near PID with group, difficult removal of housing( require two tools and more attention to not lose nuts inside).
In final, about my actual grinder, gaggia MDF with stepless modification.Is ..a shame from alez duetto?
Excuse my english, please
Ciao tutti

danetrainer

#2: Post by danetrainer »

Ciao Adrian, and welcome to H-B, you will find much valuable information on the site!

It is normal to need to "purge" the moisture from the steam wand, and typically can be 10ml or so. Just purge it again when you go to reuse it.

The long delay before you see "droplets" from the group screen is an indication of "overextraction" and you will need to adjust the grinder more coarse "gros". Your MDF grinder may have worn burrs and is producing more fines, and/or may not be up to the quality you expect now. You should look for a good used Mazzer (Super Jolly or Major) grinder there in Italy, or if possible find a "conic" model.

hadriano (original poster)

#3: Post by hadriano (original poster) »

Grazzie :D
1. I purge more or less 200 ml, and the water dont stop to come, not same quantity but enough.I believe is not normal...
2.My MDF is "new", only max 20 kg of coffee.I have in plan to buy a Mazzer :roll: .From the moment I saw this M80 in this site http://www.espressousato.com/index.php? ... &path=48.I saw yesterday in HB a few good reviews.
Another "problem" from me, is to find a real fresh coffee.I'm here, Italy, I know more torrefazione, but the coffee is not what I want.

danetrainer

#4: Post by danetrainer »

You definitely have a problem with the Alex, the water level in the boiler is too high, you need to check the level probe and see if it can be adjusted lower (after loosening the hex, on a cold machine of course), or it may be a defective sensor that needs replacing.

One of my grinders is the same as the M80 (Fiorenzato T80) I would recommend holding onto the MDF since it is quite new and saving up for a grinder like this: Doserless conversion Wega rebranded Compak K10 WIP

I have seen some postings here that talk about "fresh roasted" coffee beans in Italy, you need to do a search in the "coffee" and "cafe" sections to see if you can find one close by. Otherwise, you may need to do your own coffee roasting, it sounds like you have the attention to detail to learn the specifics for it, and once you have a supply of green beans you will have fresh coffee all the time!

Viernes

#5: Post by Viernes »

I have exactly the same issue with my duetto. In the first purge (from a cold machine) you can easily drain about 200 ml. I use the hot water spout to purge it faster. :|

#6: Post by hadriano (original poster) »

the mystery about low level water alarm is resolved. :x
Very bad link in the caves of sensor.I put tomorrow a photo...

genovese

#7: Post by genovese »

hadriano wrote: 1.When I try to make cappuccino, I receive more, very more water before steam.And the water come again
in time when I try to make latte.Is normal?
I've never experienced anything close to that. I get ~20ml +/- 5ml every time. Consider that your steam boiler may be overfilling, possibly because the level probe is failing or just adjusted too high. Since my reference machine is a USA model, I can't comment on details of your chassis, plumbing, etc. Here's a photo of mine, in case it may help, but yours may differ. Note that my level probe projects 30mm above the steam boiler top; I have not checked its internal length.

2.When I make espresso, I see the time between my movement of lever and first drop of coffee, is very long, in general 15 seconds.
If you are timing from the start of the pump, that's long. When I make my typical shot, in a LM single basket, without pausing the lever midway for manual preinfusion, I see the first drops in 6 to 8 seconds. With portafilter removed, I see the first drops of water in about 2 seconds.
I.m not sure if the sensor of low water function.I try one time to see the sound but I dont receive nothing.
If you have the mechanical switch under a spring-supported platform, as I do, it's easy to isolate the switch. Remove the tank and platform (raise the machine and remove 2 screws from below), disconnect the switch leads and jumper them to test the alarm function independent of the switch. Upon checking, I see that the spring-loaded switch itself is normally open, that is, open (alarm) when the water is too low, closed (no alarm) otherwise.
Another not "perfect" aspects is little distance between group and tray.
Agreed. Even a pair of traditional cappuccino cups needs careful positioning to allow the lever room to swing, and anything taller will not fit under the double spout. A bottomless PF makes more room if you don't need a spout. Clearances are much tighter than on my old Silvia, where I could at least hold a travel mug at 45 degrees under the single spout to pour a double shot into it. On the next design iteration, they should raise the group 20mm-30mm (hard) and extend the front of the drip tray a like amount (easy).

genovese

#8: Post by genovese »

hadriano wrote:Another "problem" from me, is to find a real fresh coffee.I'm here, Italy, I know more torrefazione, but the coffee is not what I want.
Ciao Adriano, e benvenuto in HB!

Perhaps if you made your location known, someone, perhaps even an Italian with first-hand experience, could suggest a coffee source. You might also look for this inexpensive guidebook: Gambero Rosso Bar d'Italia 2012, which lists 1700 locali. Or find a nearby bar+torrefazione serving espresso to your taste; many will also sell the same beans for use at home.

Auguri,
Davide

#9: Post by hadriano (original poster) »

My machine work with tank from the moment, and all time I made a double shot.Yes, me too I believe is a little problem with water level, I will try next days to see.I don't want to demote this sensor now, I have machine only from 3 days :).
about coffee, here, Italy, espresso is a commercial business in 95% percent and only 5% is art. :). I live in north of Italy, and in house the law is made by moka machine.But, in a few coffee bar, is possible to drink a real espresso..and is a good experience.
About sensor, see the "mystery" in this photo. A cave inserted in air.And both was same.Not very important, but from 2000 euro is a shame.
Grazie!

innermusic

#10: Post by innermusic »

here, Italy, espresso is a commercial business in 95% percent and only 5% is art.
Is that right?? I would think that Italy above all places on earth would have good espresso on every corner!
Steve Holt
Trent Hills, Ontario Canada
Vivaldi II, Macap MXK, Baratza Vario