Izzo Alex Duetto II motor noise?

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
jasonmolinari

#1: Post by jasonmolinari »

Well, my adventure of noises with my duetto continued yesterday after coming home from a week away.
Went to pull a shot and the motor/pump was REALLY loud. Loud loud buzzing noise like it was touching something.

Took pump and motor out and i'm wondering if my motor is shot. It's making what sounds like a slight grinding noise, which i'm guessing is amplified when the pump is on it and echos inside the metal case.

This is what the motor sounds like out of the machine. Does this seem correct or is it supposed to be quiet? Would like to be sure i'm replacing the correct part before i order the motor or the pump!
any help appreciated!

PS: pump pressure is fine, and shots pull fine, it's just really loud.

erics
Supporter ★

#2: Post by erics »

The sound is NOT normal. You should hear a very light hum only. Sounds to me as though one of the motor bearings is bad. Get an estimate on replacing both bearings from a small motor repair shop. In conjunction with that, get a price on a new motor from Chris' Coffee. If the repair approaches 2/3 of new, replace the motor.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

jasonmolinari (original poster)

#3: Post by jasonmolinari (original poster) »

Thanks Eric, I figured it was supposed to be quiet.
I assume the bearings are just 2 bearings the shaft rides in on either side of the shaft?

Sounds replaceable if I can get the right sized bearing. Might be worth taking apart and giving it a shot. Motors aren't all that complicated inside so it should be doable.

erics
Supporter ★

#4: Post by erics »

Well . . . yes and no on the "doable" part. I assume this is an RPM motor and I have NO experience in removing those bearings and long, long ago experience on replacing any rolling element bearings. An electric motor shop does this on a daily basis.

I can very much appreciate the desire to DIY but I definitely recommend getting an estimate first. I suspect that the bearings have a light press fit on both the rotor shaft and the housing. Removing the existing bearings can be done with some "reckless abandon" but installing the new should be done with a specific bearing driver with maybe a drop or two of red Loctite on the outer housing.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

schwaggy

#5: Post by schwaggy »

I'm going out on a limb and guessing your pumped leaked and took the motor with it. One of the pitfalls of pump over motor design. Let us know if there's water sitting on top of the motor seal area after you remove the pump.

#6: Post by jasonmolinari (original poster) »

understood eric, i'll see about having them replaced.

Schwaggy, there wasn't water sitting on the motor, but it did have some rust spots by the shaft, and most likely that caused the bearing failure...not sure how or why the pumped would have leaked though.

#7: Post by jasonmolinari (original poster) »

wow, finding a shop that will repair this is much harder than i thought....found one, but it's far, and others seem to only deal with industrial size motors....