Izzo Alex Duetto 3 A1 Error

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
swanny338

#1: Post by swanny338 »

Hey there,
I'm going to call Chris Coffee first thing tomorrow but I went to make an afternoon espresso and the PID for the brew boiler was jumping all over the place and then when I reset the machine it came up with an A1 error. Very odd. I figured I would jump on it by posting here and see if anyone has any ideas on what it could be.

I understand the error is basically looking for current from the brew boiler but I'm not sure where to start the troubleshooting.

Thanks,
Bryant

Pino

#2: Post by Pino »

were you able to resolve this? My machine just started to show this today.

Gaius

#3: Post by Gaius »

Have you guys resolved this?

swanny338 (original poster)

#4: Post by swanny338 (original poster) »

Yea it was just a faulty temp prove. Easy fix. Maybe a a power surge caused it.

Pino

#5: Post by Pino »

Gaius, yes as with swanny338 it was the temperature sensor on the brew boiler.

Pino

#6: Post by Pino »

Two months later with the new replacement sensor I get the A1 error again. Technician at Chris Coffee offered that I send in the replacement sensor and he install it in a machine there. Step one in trouble shooting.

erics
Supporter ★

#7: Post by erics »

Maybe a half step would be for you to measure the resistance of the temperature sensor.

It looks like these sensors have quick disconnects in the wiring leading to the Gicar PID so this would also allow you to ensure these connections are good. As far as I know, it is a 50K ohm NTC (negative temperature coefficient) thermistor. So the resistance should be ABOUT 50K ohms at room temperature.

I also believe the sensors for the brew boiler and steam boiler are the same so another move would be to remove both sensors (after marking them) and simply swap them.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Pino

#8: Post by Pino »

thanks Eric,

I suggested to check resistance, yet was offered to send in to check.

I will look for a continuity meter tomorrow.

Chris coffee website lists only the brew boiler replacement Temperature Sensor so I cannot compare to the steam boiler. One would think they are the same. Very good suggestion to swap. Plug is the same yet colour of the wire on the sensor is yellow on the steam boiler sensor (not white as brew boiler) and appears to be a thicker gauge.

erics
Supporter ★

#9: Post by erics »

Well . . . obviously kudo's to Chris' Coffee for their response.

HOWEVER, if you measure the resistance of your's and they measure the resistance of theirs, a lot of time and mailing expense could be spared.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Pino

#10: Post by Pino »

Thanks for the suggestion Eric.

I had an electrician friend measure the original. No reading, open circuit ... defect.

The three month old replacement I took to idrinkcooffee. I did not see him test it but the salesperson returned with a new one and said the replacement was defective.

I hope the new one last a few years. Or until my next machine.