Izzo Alex 3 (HX) Initial Impressions

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
kimchimocha

#1: Post by kimchimocha »

I decided to replace my Rancilio Silvia after deciding I was asking too much of her, and because I felt I wanted to move up in the world. I decided an HX machine fit the bill, so I've been swaying back and forth on various models. Ultimately, I decided on the Alex II (HX) by Izzo (just assume I'm talking about HX hereon out), but to my surprise I was offered a newly minted Alex 3 from Chris' Coffee, which only had a couple shots pulled off of it. So, I jumped on the opportunity, and yesterday this 72 lbs beast arrived at the house.

Since I've only had it for two days now, I have some first impression:

1. The Alex 3 has the same design features as the Alex Duetto 3 now, which is really nice when you are talking about the closed double wall shell, the drip tray, better top ventilation and cup tray with handles, larger knobs, angled portafilter handles, etc. The Alex 3 is badged Alex PID. Visibly it looks identical to the Alex Duetto 3. The only external differences are the boiler lights on the Duetto and the steam and water wands are reversed (of course the badge is different, too).

2. Overall first impression, was that this thing was solidly built, but wasn't too obtuse on the counter. The closed double walls make the fit and finish all the more better looking. The bottom of the double walls is still open though, but you don't see it anyway.

3. Unfortunately/fortunately, water wasn't pumping through the group head at first, which I traced to a disconnected wire to the brew lever actuator micro switch. I got a good look at the inside because of this, where my OCD kicked in and I started to scrutinize the overall fit and finish more (probably biased since the machine wasn't working out of the box). After removing the cup tray (nice handles), the top is held on by 4 screws. The front edge of the top plate has a removable silicon edge guard which is nice to provide a cushion to the cup tray and makes the top plate more "polished"; however, I don't know why the other three edges didn't merit the same treatment, which would have been nice. Since I'm going to plumb the machine, I won't have to fuss with the reservoir, which is annoyingly difficult to remove if you want to fill it that way; however, the reservoir is completely open with a removable top. The plastic cover is a bit cheap, since it seems to not fit snugly on the reservoir top and pops up when the hose sucks water to the boiler. The wall separating the reservoir compartment to the rest of the innards just flopped around after the top plate is removed. This could have easily been secured to the side walls to make it sturdier rather than floppy. The GICAR autofill controller screws onto that partition wall and doesn't fit flush on the wall which could have been done by adding a washer.

The rest of the innards looked pretty well built and neat. In the Alex II and the Duetto there is a capacitor connected by a bracket on the rotary pump. In this machine, I thought it was a bit ghetto and cheap to tie the capacitor down with 2 zip ties to the bottom plate. The rotary pump is screwed to the bottom plate, though. Overall organization of the innards seems pretty well layed out. I wish some of the nuts and washers were caged in since it is very difficult to get back together due to the cramp space.

The boiler is insulated, which is nice, but the boiler in my machine I think was askew, since the micro switch I was after jammed up against the boiler. I can see why the connector probably did not get seated correctly since after I reconnected the wire, the switch would not turn down into the original position since there was no space with the second wire connector. No problem, just rotate the switch 180 and problem solved.

The main components are screwed down, but there are a couple parts like the capacitor which are zipped tied down where before there were brackets and screws. I also found some of the screws and bolts were loose, so I took the opportunity to tighten things up all around.

For the price, I would expect the feet not be foiled chrome on the feet and the knob end caps are also foil plastic (with Vapore and Aqua printed on them). I'm more disappointed about the feet, since the rest of the machine is heavy gauge stainless steel, it was not necessary to put foiled chrome on the feet which will invariably peel or flake off.

Overall, nicely built and organized inside to access key components. Some items could be better secured and quality control could be better. Once back together things were working so I could test out pulling some shots and frothing some milk.

4. I'm still figuring out the whole HX thing, but it seems simple enough. The one thing I'm struck by is how much water I go through, since you need to do a cooling flush. Initial takes about 8 ounces of water and 4 ounces after 1 minute of recovery. Good thing I'm plumbing it, because refilling the reservoir constantly just isn't something I want to do.

5. I also seem to be getting wet pucks with the included "double" portafilter, which seems more like a triple (I think it is). I've changed out the basket from my Silvia and the wet puck issue seems to have gone away. By wet puck, putting 14 grams of coffee in the included "double" portafilter results in standing water in the portafilter after getting 2 ounces of espresso within the 25seconds. So, I think it is more than a double basket. With the Silvia basket the puck seems a tad wet, but comes out in one piece. However, I need to play around more with it.

6. Being the my first HX, I'm enjoying the novelty of the cooling flush and rebound, etc.

Overall, aside from the initial hiccups, I'm pleased with the purchase. I'm definitely appreciating the improvement in my espressos and frothing over the Silvia. Once I get the plumbing stuff, I'm hoping to get the shell off again to take photos, do more testing and conduct a more thorough review.

kize

#2: Post by kize »

I purchased an Alex duetto 2 new about 3 years ago. I had similar qc issues like you when I received mine. My pump ran when turned the power on. Found the micro switch was not adjusted correctly. Took the top off and let the "OCD " kick in. Checked, aligned and tighten all components, panels and hardware. It has been trouble free since then. I use the tank and fill with a water jug and funnel. Don't fuss about the wet pucks- it's an e61 thing. Also the type and dose of beans affect the puck dampness. Should not affect what's in the cup. I found once I upgraded the machine my rocky grinder had to go. The members here don't lie when they say "grinder, grinder grinder. And don't cheap out on it. Your vario should serve you well- calibrated. Enjoy. You just went to the next level