It's a bad, bad day (broken element - Elektra T1) - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
mhoy

#11: Post by mhoy »

From an electrical point of view, the heater elements run in parallel, so it should make no difference. Perhaps there could be a thermal issue, but it's got to be easier on something not being heated so even then I'd guess the stress load should be less.*

It's a sad thing to see a broken T1, but at least it's a simple fix that should give you years of future service.

Mark

andrewpetre (original poster)

#12: Post by andrewpetre (original poster) »

cannonfodder wrote:Definitely get the teflon gasket. I replaced my two group paper gasket with one when I rebuilt it. Much nicer. Sometimes elements just fail. After all, it is a little wire that heats red hot then off, all day long, a few thousand times. I wonder if the added stress of only running one of the two heater legs exasperated the problem. You put twice the stress on that one heater leg.
In this case, it's 2 of 3 legs active, but I take your point. Maybe I'll cycle them once a quarter. 2,3 then 1,3, then 1,2 etc.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#13: Post by cannonfodder »

I am not electrician, but Mark suggests it does not make a difference. What ever the cause, it sucks but at least parts are not hard to come by.
Dave Stephens