Isomac Tea Steam Problems

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Windfreak

#1: Post by Windfreak »

Hi there

I have had an Isomac Tea for 5 years and with NO problems at all. Solid machine, great performance and an awesome 40th bday present!

However, yesterday it stopped producing steam or hot water after heating up. Neither the Red or Green lights came on and nothing came out of the wand when turned on (the valve that is.)

I left it off for a while and turned it on again. The lights came on as normal, I was able to produce some foamed milk and then the lights went off and on and the steam dried up. It seems to stop working when it gets hot. Could this be a valve/thermostat issue?

I have back cleaned it, keep the holes open in the wand and more.

Any help would be SO appreciated! All of our people are on their annual holidays in SA and do not return to their offices until about the 8th of Jan, which is just toooooooooooo long for my coffee requirements!

Thanks and Happy New Year!
Rob

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

1. false pressure -- the boiler pressure gauge is normal at around 1 bar, but no steam: fix the vacuum breaker.

2. no pressure -- the boiler pressure gauge is at 0, and the red heating light is not on, but the green light is. fic or replace the pressure stat

3. no heat -- the gauge is at 9 bar, the red heating light is on, but no heat. Replaces the solid state relay or heater.

4. no lights at all -- refill the water tank or fix the cut out switch
Jim Schulman

Advertisement
Windfreak (original poster)

#3: Post by Windfreak (original poster) »

Hi
thanks for the reply.

When turning on my machine, the lights come on and all is good up to a point. Once the machine gets hot and is on for say 20 mins, the Red and Green lights go off and only the main RED light remains on. I can still draw coffee, but no steam happens.

The Red and Green lights do not go on and off between each other as regularly as normal. Then eventually both remain off and no steam is there.

Cheers

Rob

Windfreak (original poster)

#4: Post by Windfreak (original poster) »

Hi
I have just run through it and this is what happens.

My gauge is showing 1.6bar and the green and red light switch between the 2 as normal.

I make a coffee and steam some milk. 20-30 mins later the machine's lights both go out and there is steam but only what is left in the system. Each release of steam reduces the pressure gauge until it is 0. However, the pump still runs and produces hot water for the coffee.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
R

another_jim
Team HB

#5: Post by another_jim »

If both lights are out, the pressure stat is failing, probably after it heats up past a certain point. You can confirm this with a multimeter -- it will read line voltage between the incoming wire (marked C) and both outgoing ones (marked NO and NC). If there is no voltage at all to the unit, then something upstream is dying in the heat. I can't remember if the Giemme control box is part of this circuit or not.

On the unit I had, the lights were not driven by the solid state relay (SSR) that drove the heat. However, it is possible to trick wire the circuit in such a way that this can be done (paralleling the green light with the SSR, and the red light with the heat). If that's the case, you need to change the SSR, not the pstat.
Jim Schulman