Isomac boiler adjustment went wrong

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Robert757

#1: Post by Robert757 »

On my Isomac Rituale, the boiler pressure was at 1.3. my plan was to bring it down to 1.0 and try that for a while. I started to adjust my pressurestat in the "-" direction by approximately 1/8 turn increments and then watching the pressure gauge for a few cycles. I eventually got down to a cycle range of 1.18-1.28 and on the next adjustment it shot up to 1.5. I shut it down and I made a reverse adjustment and it jumped to 1.5 and climbing again. I ran the adjustment a turn in each direction to "clean the pot" so to speak to no avail. nothing I do helps at this point, the machine climbs past 1.5 to 2.0 and I shut it down. I seems that the pressurestat died as a result of my action. I was wondering if maybe I just wasn't paying attention and got it off center.

Beside just ordering a new pressurestat does anyone have any recommendations I can try.

ira
Team HB

#2: Post by ira »

Pressurestats are both inexpensive and die. It's possible in adjusting it you broke off a piece of scale that is keeping it from working. You could try de-scaling but I'd buy a replacement to keep on hand as even if it starts working again, it sounds like then might be near.

Ira

Robert757 (original poster)

#3: Post by Robert757 (original poster) replying to ira »

Thanks Ira, the machine was was descaled a few weeks ago, after I brought it home. Last night I took the Pstat our and looking inside with a loop, its very clean. I noticed that the adjustment screw is loose and kinda wobbles around, maybe that's normal when its not under pressure. But I ordered a new one anyway. in the mean time, I tapped it on the counter a bit to dislodge anything and tried it again with no joy. Ill probably dissect it to satisfy my curiosity.

ira
Team HB

#4: Post by ira »

Usually water doesn't get to the pressurestat so the descaling will not likely get there either. You could try just putting some vinegar in it while sitting upright on the counter. to see if that helps. You could also try turning up the pressure and then releasing it to see if that fixes the problem.

Ira

#5: Post by Robert757 (original poster) »

ira wrote: You could also try turning up the pressure and then releasing it to see if that fixes the problem.
Ira
Could you explain? the pressure is already up, just turn the machine on and wait. and release with the steam wand?

ira
Team HB

#6: Post by ira »

Adjust the pressurestat back to higher pressure and then adjust it lower again. See if that changes anything. Pay attention of course in case it doesn't work.

Ira

#7: Post by Robert757 (original poster) »

New pressurestat and all is well.