Is my filtered water safe? (inc. GH / KH values)

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
Jon V

#1: Post by Jon V »

Hi,

Living in a hard water area, I'm currently using bottled water to protect my machine from scale. I'd prefer to use filtered tap water, if it's safe to do so. I have a BWT bestmax filter jug: http://www.filterjug.co.uk/filter.html. Using the API GH / KH test kit I get these measurements:

Bottled water
GH (general hardness): 35 - 55ppm
KH (carbonate hardness): 70 - 90 ppm

Tap water:
GH: 285 - 305 ppm
KH: 160 - 180ppm

BWT Bestmax jug:
GH: 70 - 90 ppm
KH: 160 - 180 ppm

How should I be interpreting the filter results?

pShoe

#2: Post by pShoe »

I'd personally just continue to use bottle water. It is a relatively small investment to reduce maintenance intervals, and good water is key for coffee/espresso. Well worth it.

Jon V (original poster)

#3: Post by Jon V (original poster) replying to pShoe »

Yes, I just don't feel good about the waste aspect of it I guess.

another_jim
Team HB

#4: Post by another_jim »

You're trying to use a filter that is specifically designed not to soften the water to soften your water (or in their lingo, to remove vital minerals); so how is that going to work? There are effective ways to soften your water -- Zerowater is a full ion exchange demineralizer. You can use it, or a table top distiller, and add back 20% to 30% of your tap water to reduce descaling intervals while still getting decent coffee.
Jim Schulman

Jon V (original poster)

#5: Post by Jon V (original poster) replying to another_jim »

Well, I was recommended the jug for this purpose and the manufacturer does claim that it reduces limescale.

Unfortunately Zerowater is not available in the UK, but I will look at table top distillers.

sweaner

#6: Post by sweaner »

You could purchase distilled water, which should be cheaper that the bottled spring water, and do the dilution with your tap water to achieve a proper formula.
Scott
LMWDP #248