Is it worth getting a PID for my home-use La Marzocco Linea?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
hugz

#1: Post by hugz »

I have a 3 group Linea as my home machine (FB/70 actually, but they're pretty much the same thing)

Is there any use in getting a PID? I want the best out of my machine, but will a machine will such a big boiler provide all of the temperature stability I could ever want for the 6 coffees a day it pours?

Surely a PID would keep the boiler in the exact range better though?

Power consumption is also a concern, for obvious reasons

pacificmanitou

#2: Post by pacificmanitou »

First, jealous. I love the looks of Linea, and some the FB/70 models are pretty great too. Really though, any la Marzocco is bound to be a dream.

Modern versions of both machines come standard with a PID, so there must be an improvement. I've never heard of a decrease in shot quality after a PID was added either.
LMWDP #366

hugz (original poster)

#3: Post by hugz (original poster) »

Yeah mine is older and has no PID. I'm curious whether the PID is really only beneficial for a busy cafe which is pumping lots of water through the machine, or whether it'll also benefit a machine that only ever does 6 a day, 2 at a time.

She is a dream to use but hey, we always want better, don't we?

TomC
Team HB

#4: Post by TomC »

This is a perfect question for Bill Crossland. I believe with your boiler size to shot usage per day, combined with a saturated head group means your very likely pulling quite stable temps though to start.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Nuprin

#5: Post by Nuprin »

Yes, I'd get the PID, I mean you do have a 3 group Linea for "home" so there's no point in being concerned about additional power use. The temps do vary on the Lineas, especially if you want to be pinpoint on your brewing temperature.

Just remember, if you walk up to the machine and haven't pulled a shot in a while, you need a good 15 to 20 second flush to get the temp up or it'll run about 10 degrees cooler than what you have it set for.

I'd recommend getting/borrowing a scace to confirm the temps.

2StrokeBloke

#6: Post by 2StrokeBloke »

Hugo,
I chuckled when I read your comment about power consumption being a concern!
Power aside, how do you fit that monster in your kitchen?

You're a fortunate guy having the space for a Linea.

shadowfax

#7: Post by shadowfax »

hugz wrote:Is there any use in getting a PID? I want the best out of my machine, but will a machine will such a big boiler provide all of the temperature stability I could ever want for the 6 coffees a day it pours?

Surely a PID would keep the boiler in the exact range better though?
Yes, you should get a PID. The Fuji PXR3 is very affordable and pretty easy to install. Auber Instruments sells a very easy to install RTD probe specifically for the linea as well. If you want to really save, you can use one of their PIDs instead of the PXR3. If you use theirs you can also buy their pre-cut enclosure, which I think may be a little too short for a PXR3 (it is about 4" long).
Power consumption is also a concern, for obvious reasons
Insulate the steam boiler for sure. It will radiate an incredible amount of heat otherwise. That will cut the energy cost in half or better, I would bet.
Nicholas Lundgaard

Compass Coffee

#8: Post by Compass Coffee »

First I'll say a 2gr FB70 at home is humorous, a 3gr down right hysterical!

That said IMO your shot won't be any more temp stable during a shot with a PID. The 3gr brew boiler is so big making it very temp stable even fairly high production. However, with a PID you know where the heck the temperature actually is versus the stock temperature control's deadband. So yes definite benefit.

Also, IIRC the FB70 is cousin to the Linea EE as the FB80 is cousin to the Linea AV. As such the older FB70 does not have the external AV water loop to bring up to temp so a short flush from idle all that's needed at most.

Agree insulating the boilers, especially the steam boiler, will reduce power consumption. Adding PID will have about zero power saving benefit.
Mike McGinness

shadowfax

#9: Post by shadowfax »

Compass Coffee wrote:Also, IIRC the FB70 is cousin to the Linea EE as the FB80 is cousin to the Linea AV. As such the older FB70 does not have the external AV water loop to bring up to temp so a short flush from idle all that's needed at most.
This is incorrect. The FB70 is basically a Linea with a different outer shell. I believe it comes in AV and EE versions just like the linea. The FB80 is a GB5 with a different outer body. It is a very different machine with a custom LM brain and preheated water delivery to the brew boiler. It also comes in EE and AV variations.
Nicholas Lundgaard

Compass Coffee

#10: Post by Compass Coffee »

shadowfax wrote:This is incorrect. The FB70 is basically a Linea with a different outer shell. I believe it comes in AV and EE versions just like the linea.
You're right, IDNRC (I Did Not Recall Correctly :wink: ). However I stand by my point which was AV vs. EE having far different flush needs from idle.
Mike McGinness