Is it time to replace the internal valves on my E61?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Gus

#1: Post by Gus »

I have a Brewtus 2. I have noticed lately that while pulling a shot there is a constant stream of water coming out of the exhaust valve on the E61. I also have to refill the reservoir and empty the drip tray much more frequently, and if I leave the machine on all day it will steadily drip from the exhaust valve even though the machine is not in use. So I took apart the upper and lower valve assemblies and it looks like the all three valve seats on the lower assembly have cracked seals. It appears the seals are integral and can't be replaced separately.

1. Do you think replacing these parts will fix the issue, just the valves, not the springs?

2. Is the dripping water during idle periods from the thermosyphon loop?

3. Would the leaking valve during the shot effect the actual brew pressure in the grouphead?

4. Is this a common maintenance issue for E61s?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Gus

Insert catchy phrase of choice here

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

Sounds like the same story as Constant dripping from E61 grouphead. Espressocare sells an E61 rebuild kit, perhaps Whole Latte Love sells one similar for the Brewtus? See Overhauling and Lubricating the E-61 Group for instructions and Internals of an E61 Brew Head [video] for background information.
Dan Kehn

Advertisement
Gus (original poster)

#3: Post by Gus (original poster) »

Yes that was it exactly. The cut away was very cool.
Thank you seems like an insufficient reply for all of those links, more like thanks for putting up with my lame questions.
You're always very helpful.
Gus

Insert catchy phrase of choice here