Inline pressure regulator really necessary for Elektra T1?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
UFGators

#1: Post by UFGators »

I currently have an Elektra t1 with water pressure around 65 psi coming from the street. The machine shows 7 bars static pressure on the front. I tried adding an inline regulator to get the static pressure down to 4psi on the front of the machine but when I did the pump starved for water and made noise. Should I try to add another inline regulator that maybe has better flow or leave it as it is. The machine runs perfectly. Any suggestions for brands of regulators for those who think I need one? By the way, does the 2 to 4 bar operating pressure on Elektra label refer to static or operating pressure of water line while pump is moving? Thanks in advance.

erics
Supporter ★

#2: Post by erics »

The very best(?) way to set your pump's incoming water pressure is to disconnect the pump electrically (should be a quick disconnect there) and brew away with an empty portafilter.

Read the pressure on the machine's gage and adjust your new (or old) pressure regulator such that the gage reads 2.5 bar. Now reconnect the pump's electricals and brew again. Adjust the pump's relief/regulating valve such that the gage now reads 9.0 bar or wherever you desire.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

UFGators (original poster)

#3: Post by UFGators (original poster) »

Any brands of inline regulators I should consider if I go that route? Thanks

erics
Supporter ★

#4: Post by erics »

Yes - Chris' Coffee sells a pressure regulator that is certainly "tried & true" and Watts sells an "all brass" version of the same. If I were home, I would provide all the links but this portable computer is testing my patience.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

cannonfodder
Team HB

#5: Post by cannonfodder »

Use the Watts regulator. Regulators have a max input pressure and the inexpensive plastic ones cannot handle a high input. It also sounds like you have a small feed line. Don't go below a 3/8 inch water line or you will starve the machine of water.
Dave Stephens

#6: Post by UFGators (original poster) »

I did have a plastic regulator but the input line was 3/8 so no problem with that. It does make sense that it can't handle the high input pressure. I tried the brass regulator from chris coffee but it seemed to have the same problem, it seemed to reduce the water pressure but maybe restrict the flow? Would a watts be an improvement? Which one should I look at?

HB
Admin

#7: Post by HB »

UFGators wrote:I tried adding an inline regulator to get the static pressure down to 4psi on the front of the machine but when I did the pump starved for water and made noise.
Is "down to 4psi" a typo? I believe the T1 should be regulated to 4 bar (static).

Anyway, the noise you heard was probably pump cavitation; imagine a huge pump trying to draw water through a tiny, tiny straw. If the flow rate is too slow due to resistance from filter(s), pressure regulators, or pipe diameter, you can always add an accumulator just prior to the espresso machine. It will buffer the flow rate and assure the pump never goes dry.
Dan Kehn

#8: Post by UFGators (original poster) »

Should I install regulator before or after water softener and filter?

HB
Admin

#9: Post by HB »

Since the filters introduce drag, the pressure regulator should be after them. The final order: mains > softener filter > carbon filter > pressure regular > accumulator > espresso machine.
Dan Kehn

#10: Post by UFGators (original poster) »

Is there any minimum amount of length of water line I need between the filter and the regulator? Thanks