Info on ECM Technika made in Heidelberg Germany - Page 3

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
gedit

#21: Post by gedit »

g1296 wrote: This is sort of getting weird, I emailed ECM Manufacture twice and did not get a response. Finally did but only after someone saw my post and contacted ECM on my behalf. The ECM Mfg company emailed me and informed me that Burgess in Seattle was the distributor of the machine. The owner of Burgess wass cc'd in that email. Therefore, I replied back to Mr.Burgess and asked if he did indeed sell ECM Manufacture machines from Heidelberg. Keep in mind like the poster here stated, Burgess does not list the German Heidelberg machines on their website but only Italian Giotta machines. I never got a reply back from Mr. Burgess.
This whole ECM thing looked very weird to me when I stared to explore it a few months ago. I did contact Andrew Meo (who posted here as well). He was the only one who was very responsive from the beginning but he could not help more than referring me to that Burgess guy with whom I managed to exchange a few e-mails and even one phone call (!!!). Mr. Burgess said that his company now is importing the German versions of ECM and you are right they don't list those versions on their website (Sounded even weirder to me, is when I asked him about the Technika, or Replika models and he simply was dumbfounded: HE HAD NO IDEA WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT).
What got me skeptical is that I was willing to visit the locations in Italy and in Germany as I happened to be there and so I suggested to both ECM Italy and in Germany to visit them and all I got was vague replies such as: "... our showroom is in renovation..." or "...we have no showroom, but you can see it in this and that coffee shop..." etc...

In my last exchange with Mr. Burgess, I asked him for a quote because I was ready to buy it, he promised to call me in a couple of days, and I understood that he has no machine to sell... He never called me by the way (as I said he had no idea of those models)... I am assuming they were just checking the possibility to import the machine but didn't actually start to get them into the US...

So you should do the same thing I did. Cross this one out! They don't deserve you as a customer because they have not set up their minds on how to sell these machines here and even if you did buy the machine, whether you'd get the support for it or not, is questionable...

I don't have either of the machines you mentioned (ECM obviously) nor the VB, which I also have been debating about for quite sometime. The VB has a lot of good reviews, but just visualize about 26" of depth on your counter or wherever you think of placing it to make sure you will know what to expect. It's huge!!
Good luck!
Make everything louder than everything else

LeoZ

#22: Post by LeoZ »

i have a giotto premium. its a great machine. why risk going with these others?

I am still confused about the rocket/ecm ideal extraction temperature comment. I will follow up with Andrew and see. This beast runs too hot to be ideal, but once tuned, its an awesome, rock solid machine.
i say you all go buy one :D

Andrew Meo

#23: Post by Andrew Meo »

In response to Gedit (April 8th) and to clarify the position of Rocket Espresso in the US. Our sales enquiries have never been forwarded to Burgess to the best of my knowledge and I handle sales!
In the US we have great distribution partners in 1st line Equipment, Whole Latte Love and Seattle Coffee Gear and Mr Espresso, amongst others. In Canada we are represented by Espressotec, Faema Canada (in Toronto) and Faema Distrubuteur (Montreal). We are pleased to be associated with the above companies who represent our machines well. Our US sales partners have been in place since the conception of Rocket Espresso and many were representing our machines when they were produced by the Italian company ECM. We have fully certified our machines to meet all applicable North American safety standards which shows our long term commitment to the US market.
To the best of my knowledge Rocket Espresso has not been contacted re a visit. We are frequently contacted regarding picking up a machine ex factory, but we have a policy of supporting our dealer / distribution network and not selling direct at discounted retail pricing.
From our factory in Settala, 20KM east of Milano, we have met with many of our customers, offered service to machines that had no authorised service agents close by, and I have also conducted espresso training sessions to help our clients get the best from their Giotto or Cellini machines.
We value the support of our customers and where ever possible endevour to satisfy there requirements.
Andrew Meo.

gedit

#24: Post by gedit »

Andrew Meo wrote:To the best of my knowledge Rocket Espresso has not been contacted re a visit. We are frequently contacted regarding picking up a machine ex factory, but we have a policy of supporting our dealer / distribution network and not selling direct at discounted retail pricing.
Andrew,
I was referring to the German ECM who referred me to Burgess Enterprises. I apologize for the misunderstanding. However regarding a visit, I have your e-mail where you wrote: "Unfortunately, we do not have demonstration centers in Italy as our Italian sales are handled from our Milan offices."

I must again reiterate that you personally were very responsive to my questions and gave me all the info I needed, but I wanted to see the machine in demo and to buy the latest one (with the improvements), and not one that may have been in stock from an old batch (if bought on line)...
Anyway just to clarify, the ECM confusion is primarily about the German models and not the Rocket ECM.
Make everything louder than everything else

g1296 (original poster)

#25: Post by g1296 (original poster) »

I am glad this whole ordeal with countless emails, phone calls the no-responses, and the mixed up conspiracy type responses regarded the key cast of character involved or shouldn't be involved. I think this was a blessing in disguise, do I really want to purchase a $2000+ machine from an outfit like this who cannot get basic answers like can you tell me about your company, your methods for taking orders, your shipping arrangement and which products are available to ship. And most importantly how much would this all cost tax included, with follow up service plans should be explained in advance. Instead I got the run around from the beginning when all I wanted was a very simple one sentence answer, where do I buy it, how much and when can you ship it?
The blessing is because during this time I wasted on resolving the mystery of the famous ECM debacle, I discovered on-line the amazing machines called the Astra Gourmet Pour over with a Rotary pump, this thing weighs 95 pounds and has an a solid stainless steel 4.2 liter boiler. This thing is built like a tank, I don't see how these other machines made in Italy can even come close to this American built behemoth. Wow, if you've been doing the amount of research I have, you can stop now and go check this thing out. Best part is it's made in California. I traveled all over Germany again last week to get me one of those ECM's and during that trip had this ultimate revelation that the Astra is this machine for me. I called home to tell my spouse that I wasted a few extra days out there because I am flying home right now to go buy the Astra. Feels like the vision finally clear and all the worries and stress of trying to find the right machine is now over. I can't wait till it gets here.

rgs1218

#26: Post by rgs1218 »

I got some info from 1st Line today that I hadn't seen mentioned recently and rather than start a new thread, thought the info was applicable to this old one.

I spoke with a woman in Sales over at 1st Line today regarding their clearance pricing on both the Rocket Giotto and Cellini Evoluzione machines--mostly curious as to why they were on clearance at a price much lower than anywhere else. She explained they are brand new units but that 1st line was going to be selling the 'German' version of ECM rather than Rocket so the pricing was just to eliminate their inventory. So it looks like those interested here in the US will be able to more easily get their hands on one the the ECM Manufacture units in the near future. I was unfamiliar with this company at the time of the conversation so I didn't ask specifically what units they plan on selling. Just thought I'd share.

I'm just happy I was able to get at Cellini Evoluzione at such a great price.