Impression after one month with La Marzocco Linea Mini

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
weebit_nutty

#1: Post by weebit_nutty »

Just wanted to drop a quick impression of my Linea Mini for those interested in this machine.

It's really one of the best things I've ever bought. Early on I had discovered an issue with the pressurestat, but it got quickly resolved. Shortly thereafter, I got on with using the machine instead of just testing.

I still consider myself a newbie when it comes to pump machines, but I am just blown away on every level. One of the best purchases I've ever made. No nonsense machine. Performs like a boss. If the Cremina is the "Lotus Elise" of espresso machines, I'd say my Linea Mini is more akin to an Evora.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

richorr

#2: Post by richorr »

Welcome to the Linea Mini community! It is a great machine that is a joy to use.

weebit_nutty (original poster)

#3: Post by weebit_nutty (original poster) »

A few observations worth noting.

1. The steam power took some getting used to, starting out. I learned to not apply too much force starting out, and then increasing the power only after stretching.
2. Stock steam tip is awesome. I tried the sproline foam knife on, and it was great but wasn't that much easier to use. The milk quality was the same though. The stock tip heats milk a bit faster than the foam knife.
3. If desired, longer pre-infusion is easily achieved manually using the paddle.
4. I made several unintrusive mods to greatly enhance the feel of the paddle, as well as eliminate wear and tear on the machine. They were very easy to do. I haven't had time to post about it, but fi you must know, I eliminated the clacking sound of the paddle by insulating all metal-to-metal contact as well as loosened the hinge bolt. So the paddle is now like butter.
5. I use the filtered water from under sink filtration system without issue on the machine. Before I was adding trace minerals with each refill however the water tasted much better without it, as did the shots.
6. I added a secondary diffuser to the hot water dispenser nozzle, which reduced spitting and increased laminar flow.
7. The pump is impressively quiet. There is a click when brewing starts, then it hums quietly, and another click when it stops (3 way valve).
8. I finally cleaned my tank after 4 weeks and while washing it, it felt like it didn't even need cleaning.
9. I really appreciate the enclosed group head. Have not burned myself once on it :)
10. Despite the large boiler size, pressure recovers quickly, about as fast or faster than my 1L Cremina after steaming the same volume of milk.
11. Getting perfect shots requires extreme precision in dial-in and prep, unlike my Cremina, which will pull off every shot like a godshot. In other words, this machine is only as good as you are.
12. The internal component layout under the hood is impressively clean and efficient. It's remarkable that the build quality is as good on the inside as it is on the outside.
13. Cup tray holds 2 large latte cups, 4 cappuccino cups, and 4 espresso cups, and 1 shot glass.
14. I no longer need to use my bottomless PF once Iv'e perfected the shots :)
15. Pucks are wetter than I am used to on my lever, but I understand it's completely different mechanics. Lever shots have the advantage of pushing out all of the water out of the puck before it is knocked out, whereas on a pump machine the 3-way valve allows only some of the water to escape once pressure is released.
16. I want to get ridgeless baskets. I don't like having to prise the baskets out of the PFs.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

Reindeer21

#4: Post by Reindeer21 »

Just a note the paddle is not an MP it is actually just a switch so moving it half way doesn't give you any longer pre-infusion it is fixed at 2 seconds.

richorr

#5: Post by richorr »

The water dispenser point is a good one. The fact that steams comes out of it is annoying and it would be worthwhile for LM to address that.

I agree the steaming takes a it of getting used to. I have been watching others on the commercial machines and many use the spout to control the angle of the wand and dunk at first and work up to stretch. If you start too high you end up with a foamy mess.

Are you using a scale to measure shots? I find that super useful and now there is a new scale (Brewista Smart Scale) with an integrated timer that will tare and start the timer when the shot glass or cup is placed on it. Less things to worry about when pulling a shot. Put down the vessel, wait for taring and flip the paddle. Picking one up on Friday to try.

JonF

#6: Post by JonF »

Thanks for the update! The LM is certainly on my short list to upgrade my LaSpaziale V2. Interested to see the plumbing kit. Think it's due this month in the US.

keno

#7: Post by keno »

weebit_nutty wrote:It's really one of the best things I've ever bought.
Couldn't agree more. The Linea Mini has helped to make me much a better home barista by providing reliable consistent feedback. If you know the basic principles of espresso and have a decent palate it is easy to improve the quality of your shots with this machine.

lcats

#8: Post by lcats »

Thank you for your impressions -- very helpful. Some comments, which you have elicited, follow. I got my Linea Mini only a couple of weeks ago and am loving it, but still have questions.

Could you be more specific about the additional diffuser you added to the hot water dispenser nozzle? I had not realized until I read what you wrote that it is apparently just a basic diffuser, like on any sink faucet (it looked too nice for that until I unscrewed the tip). What did you add (perhaps a photo)?

I assume that you mean that you lengthened the pre-infusion by turning your pull back off with the paddle after one second, and then turning it on once again. Is this correct?

My filtered water reads out at about 128 ppm, which is lower than recommended. Three drops of trace minerals per gallon raises it to 180 ppm, but definitely alters the taste. That said, Poland Spring bottled water checks out at only 30 ppm with the same meter, and if I recall correctly, La Marzocco recommended either Crystal Geyser or Poland Springs. I have been using Poland Springs in the machine, mostly. I wonder how critical this really is, or should we go with our taste?

The steam power is simply amazing, and so fast that I occasionally blow it before I have even had time to think. Definitely dunk first and then work up.

I really have not tried the supplied baskets, except today with the 21g with which I had to adjust my grind, so that is not fully worked out. My usual choice before getting this machine was a ridgeless VST 18g, and with the Linea Mini I am putting 19g or slightly more in it and liking the result very much. I also had been using a ridged VST 7g single basket, and have pulled a few singles with this that both my wife and I have liked. So I may stick with these two VSTs.

Beezer

#9: Post by Beezer »

Thanks for posting the update. I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a Mini myself, so it's good to hear that others are happy with theirs. I'm especially glad you were able to resolve the pressurestat issue, which indicates that the machine is easy to work on and has good customer support from LM or the vendor.

I'm still waiting for word on when the plumb in version will be available, but I think I may just take the plunge and get the tank version now, as long as it can be upgraded to plumbed in later.

I already have a buyer lined up for my old machine, so with any luck, I'll be ordering the Mini within the next week or so. It's a big step cost-wise, but hopefully worth the money.
Lock and load!

LATrapp

#10: Post by LATrapp replying to Beezer »

Don't sell your old machine too soon! I believe they are all gone for a while. From LM's website:

"We are currently backordered on Linea Mini machines. We have a limited supply left for 2015 and have placed the Linea Mini in Pre-Order status. If you would like to get a machine for the holidays, we encourage you to place a pre-order. You will not be charged upfront for the machine. We will email you once your machine is ready to ship and will charge your card at that time."