Ideal dose/basket for Bezzera Strega

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
erik82

#1: Post by erik82 »

Been lurking Owner experience with Bezzera Strega for some time and wanna thank everyone for the great info. I just have one question and couldn't find the answer in that thread or the second look thread which I've read both from page 1. About 2 months ago I sold my E61-HX and bought a Strega which I really love.

Everybody is talking about overdosing the Strega to around 18-19grams. My puck will touch the shower screen when using between 16 to 17.5grams depending on the beans. I'm using the stock double basket. Is it normal that the puck touches the shower screen with the Strega? This is the only thing I don't understand because a E61 doesn't like it when the puck touches the screen.

enzian

#2: Post by enzian »

I think many people who are overdosing the Strega are using an aftermarket basket. You should find reference to the triple basket from Espressoparts by searching this thread. It seems to be a popular one.

Advertisement
Javier

#3: Post by Javier »

erik82 wrote:My puck will touch the shower screen when using between 16 to 17.5grams depending on the beans. I'm using the stock double basket. Is it normal that the puck touches the shower screen with the Strega?
Hi Erik! I also use the stock "14 grams" double basket with my Strega. However, I have not had the center of the shower screen impressed in the puck, no matter what beans I am using. My usual dose for said double basket is 16 grams.
LMWDP #115

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by JohnB. »

I just used an 18.5g dose in the Espressoparts HQ14 basket & saw no signs of screen contact. Haven't used the stock baskets since the first week I had the Strega (12/12).
LMWDP 267

vespid

#5: Post by vespid »

erik82 wrote:Everybody is talking about overdosing the Strega to around 18-19grams. My puck will touch the shower screen when using between 16 to 17.5grams depending on the beans. I'm using the stock double basket. Is it normal that the puck touches the shower screen with the Strega?
I've actually been wondering the same thing. Although, I've never used the stock baskets. I usually use either the HQ14 or the microfine 14g. There have been a few occassions where I experienced the puck touching the screen. It seems to happen when I have a 18-19g dose with a coarser than usual grind and light tamp.

What I almost always see is a small impression on the outside rim of the puck. It is almost like a little pit/indentation, and it seems to happen at the same spot every time. I could have swore that someone posted a pic of it before, but I'm not sure what causes it or how to prevent it from happening.

another_jim
Team HB

#6: Post by another_jim »

I use the Microfine, and it shows a mark at about 18.5; deeper baskets like the HQ, the regular LM double or Strada/VST 18 only show at around 20.

Unlike the regular Bezzera group, there is no degradation in the shot if the puck mashes against the screen. So it's not worth worrying about
Jim Schulman

erik82 (original poster)

#7: Post by erik82 (original poster) »

Thanks for all the replies. I currently only have the stock baskets and a Nuova Ricambi double basket. I ordered the 14gr Micorfine baskets over a week ago but they'll take a long time to reach this part of the world with the cheap shipping option from Espressotec. I'll have a look if there's a possibility to order HQ baskets in the Netherlands and not having to pay 60 dollars for shipping.

Advertisement
Kev

#8: Post by Kev »

Hello,

Regarding baskets, so far I have been getting great results from the stock basket supplied and dosing at around 17.5g. I can even dose higher with no issues. But I am keen to explore the possibilities of getting even better extractions with different baskets. Shipping the micro-fine basket that Jim recommended from Espresso Resource would be quiet expensive. Would anyone be able to say if the following http://www.coffeehit.co.uk/ep-hq-double-basket/p859 Espresso Parts basket sold by Coffee Hit in the UK would be suitable?

Thanks,

Kevin

another_jim
Team HB

#9: Post by another_jim »

There's nothing magic about the microfine. The Strega is unusual in that it requires a finer grind than most machines for a given basket and dose. This is great for bright coffees where you want a full extraction, but not so great for many espresso blends for which coarser grinds and slight underextraction is required to avoid a flat, wimpy taste. The old poorly designed triples (i.e. with nearly the same how area as a double) or an overloaded single basket, will work if you need a coarser grind.

I like the Microfine because it takes a coarser than usual grind and is deep, so it can be used for the entire grind range; any double basket that has the same dose to grind properties will work just as well.

For fine grinds, all the baskets work well.
Jim Schulman

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by JohnB. »

Kev wrote:Hello,Would anyone be able to say if the following http://www.coffeehit.co.uk/ep-hq-double-basket/p859 Espresso Parts basket sold by Coffee Hit in the UK would be suitable?
That's the basket I use everyday. I think you'd be happy with it.
LMWDP 267