I prefer my Breville Cafe Roma over my new Rancilio Silvia? Help!

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
murphythecat87

#1: Post by murphythecat87 »

hi everyone,
I use a oe pharos V2 as a grinder and been trying to get a good latte out of my rancilio silvia V3. I use red bird coffee.

Temperature surfing: Once the boiler light turns off, I wait about 45 seconds then starts my shot for 27 seconds.

I have tried many different grind setting, and think ive settled with a grind just right for the Silvia (IE: 60ml in 27 second) with a nice crema shot. I have played this past week a lot with grind setting and while it do affect the taste, I find that no matter the fine tuning of grind setting, I still prefer my latte made with the breville.
I dont steam my milk btw, simple espresso + added hot milk.

what am I doing wrong here? why do I prefer the taste from my breville?
I find the taste from the breville needs much less milk to be as I like it. I need to add much more milk with the silvia to calm the strong taste of coffee.
In the breville, I put about 13-14g coffee, and in the silvia, about 15g.
Maybe I just like my coffee less intense tasting? I do like the mouthfull intense taste of the silvia, but the breville gives me a very smooth tasting latte that I tend to prefer.

Ive ordered new VST 18g baskets to replace the stock silvia basket as ive heard it makes a big difference...

ive been reading about OPV setting on silvia. could that be the reason?

baldheadracing
Team HB

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

Your Silvia's brew temperature might be a bit too hot. Perhaps try the flash-boil temperature surf, as demonstrated in this classic Mark Prince video:
(397K views! The mind boggles ...)
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

murphythecat87 (original poster)

#3: Post by murphythecat87 (original poster) »

im still new to making good espresso. :oops:

I just realized that I was pulling 50g of espresso shots with 14g of coffee grinds.
My grind was way too coarse.

Now with 14g of coffee grinds I pull 30g espresso shots that taste very good now!

#4: Post by murphythecat87 (original poster) »

baldheadracing wrote:Your Silvia's brew temperature might be a bit too hot. Perhaps try the flash-boil temperature surf, as demonstrated in this classic Mark Prince video:
this video is about the Silvia V2, isnt there a difference in the boiler with the V3 Silvia?

Right now, I wait until the light goes off, then flush water for 2 seconds, wait 5 seconds then pull the shots.

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

murphythecat87 wrote:this video is about the Silvia V2, isnt there a difference in the boiler with the V3 Silvia?
In terms of actual performance including temperature surfing, sadly Silvia hasn't changed much at all. For what it's worth, I found Mark's method documented in 2007 still held true during my review six years later.
Dan Kehn

#6: Post by murphythecat87 (original poster) replying to HB »

ok, but the method in the video is very vague...

how long after the light turns off do I need to flush?

baldheadracing
Team HB

#7: Post by baldheadracing »

v2 and v3 have the same boiler. They also have the same thermostats.

Time, in and of itself, is irrelevant for temperature surfing. It is temperature surfing, not time surfing :D. Unless you have an appropriate thermometer, e.g., a Scace device, the only indicator of temperature that you have to work with is the flash boil, as Mark showed in the video.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

ilker

#8: Post by ilker »

Wait 20mins until the machine is fully warmed up. Flush until the light is on. Wait around 30seconds after the light is off.
Flush about 30-40ml water.
Load it and fire.

#9: Post by murphythecat87 (original poster) replying to ilker »

k, Ill try that! is that what you do with your silvia?

thanks guys!

ilker

#10: Post by ilker »

Exactly. But this is my routine. For my setup and coffee.

Depending on environment temp. and coffee, timings may vary. You may try 3-4-5 seconds cooling flushes and see the results for your coffee.

Most important thing is to be consistent and always change one variable at a time. ( dose, grind or temperature)