I finally plumbed Oscar

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
bluesman

#1: Post by bluesman »

The prior owners of our apartment had installed a water treatment system under the kitchen sink when they redid it in 1998 to feed an InstantHot and a drinking "fountain" installed on either side of the faucet. One or both obviously caused a problem of some kind, because the water valve was closed tightly and the devices appeared not to have been used in a decade+. It's been a month since we moved in, and we're finally unpacked and well distributed. So Oscar got the attention he craved.

I freed up the shutoff valve, removed the filthy, corroded devices and water treatment system, and hooked up my tubing feed.

Then I installed a water softener / filter system from Chris. I made a bracket to support the regulator, despite everyone's reassurance that "no one does that" -

I put a SS plug in the hole on the right from the InastantHot and used the left-hand hole from the fountain for a gorgeous, brushed stainless right angle 1/4 turn valve to bring the treated water through the counter top without having to drill the Corian -

I used reinforced tubing from the sink to the back of the machine because I thought it was less vulnerable to our cleaning people than 1/4" tubing. They break stuff I thought was nuclear-proof, so I cover and cordon off that end of the counter (and my floor standing speakers, and my computer desk, and my stereo shelves, and my ...) every week before they come - but my wife says I can't keep them from the kitchen sink. I'll have to find a 3 foot scrap of Corian about 1 1/2" square, rout a channel from end to end, and secure it to the counter over the tubing with double sided tape. Lowes was out of longer reinforced hose, and I wanted to get this done - so I used the longest one they had (30"), which leaves the union to the machine's 1/4" tubing exposed but behind the grinder when it's back in its place.

After redoing the compression join between the 1/4" tubing and the brass fitting at the shutoff valve because of a tiny leak, I flushed the filter cartridge and everything works - so I'm a happy home barista!

Strugs

#2: Post by Strugs »

Your Idea to use that right angle fitting at the sink is brilliant. Is that a standard fitting that is easily found at a plumbing supply store?
Sean

bluesman (original poster)

#3: Post by bluesman (original poster) replying to Strugs »

It's one of several specialty items from my boutique plumbing supply house......Amazon. It was $14 - if it were a Kohler part, it'd be $100. But it's from the Chinese company KES, a total unknown in the US. I don't know how I'll get a replacement cartridge for it if it starts to leak, as I can't find any dealers on line and Amazon has no replacement parts for it. But it's really beautiful, seems well made, and should last for years barring a manufacturing flaw, so I took a chance on it.

FWIW, it's actually a stop valve for a faucet supply line - it's supposed to go under the sink, not on it.