I'm in Love - It's Official

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
innermusic

#1: Post by innermusic »

I am in love. The Quickmill Silvano has captured my affections. After a week of fiddling with grind, pressure, dose, blend - this morning the shots were terrific. All these flavors comings out. Lovely crema, just wonderful espresso. Even the puck was drier today.

What else could one ask for? Now I suppose I should start learning about steaming milk...
Steve Holt
Trent Hills, Ontario Canada
Vivaldi II, Macap MXK, Baratza Vario

innermusic (original poster)

#2: Post by innermusic (original poster) »

One other thing I forgot to mention - today was first time with the bottomless PF which arrived yesterday. The only way to go.
Steve Holt

Advertisement
samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by samuellaw178 »

Just wondering, is this your first machine?How do you find the steaming capability of this Silvano(compared to other machine if you had prior experience)?

And congratz on the new machine and bPF. :mrgreen:

#4: Post by innermusic (original poster) »

This was upgrade from Gaggia Dose. A big upgrade. PS I don't do much steaming, really just into straight espresso. But now that I have a machine with a separate heat block for steam and a separate pump, I guess I'll be checking that out more - my wife likes lattes.
Steve Holt

jwill911

#5: Post by jwill911 »

Care to share the espresso blend your new Silvano used to capture your heart?

Thanks,
John

symbology

#6: Post by symbology »

I found that after pulling the shot/turning off the pump, quickly loosening the PF to break the seal (let it set for a few seconds before removing) really helps to drain / dry the puck. I do this just before I steam the milk (when making a milk drink).

#7: Post by innermusic (original poster) »

jwill911 wrote:Care to share the espresso blend your new Silvano used to capture your heart?
There are 2 - one is the house blend "espresso yellow" from http://www.idrinkcoffee.com and the other is a vienna roast of a blend called "choco" from http://www.greenbeanery.ca

I'm always trying others but keep coming back to these two - my babes.
Steve Holt

Advertisement
okmed

#8: Post by okmed »

I love the "yellow", can you elaborate on how the "choco" compares.
By the way are you the guy I met at Idrinkcoffee when you were purchasing a new tamper and Richard pulled us an espresso?

#9: Post by innermusic (original poster) »

symbology wrote:I found that after pulling the shot/turning off the pump, quickly loosening the PF to break the seal (let it set for a few seconds before removing) really helps to drain / dry the puck. I do this just before I steam the milk (when making a milk drink).
Thanks for that tip. It does help. The manual also counsels me to do that and then to run the pump for a few seconds to discharges loose grinds and oils, then I wipe the grouphead. So now I'm reading the owners manual - doh. ;)
Steve Holt

#10: Post by innermusic (original poster) »

okmed wrote:I love the "yellow", can you elaborate on how the "choco" compares.
By the way are you the guy I met at Idrinkcoffee when you were purchasing a new tamper and Richard pulled us an espresso?
Nope never been there. Just deal with them by phone and web. The Yellow is similar to Choco, but Choco is roasted to order and I order it as a Vienna roast, which is a bit lighter than the Yellow. So it's hard to compare apples to apples because of the different roasts.
Steve Holt