How to use Sproline tips on Izzo Alex Duetto II = Perfect Microfoam

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
haunce

#1: Post by haunce »

It seems that many have difficulty getting high quality microfoam on their Duetto. I know I did. I went through probably 5 gallons of milk with both the 4 hole tip and 2 hole tip and never got close to super thick, paint consistency microfoam. Also, the no burn wands that come stock on the Duetto now seem to create a much wetter steam which is not a good thing.

After talking with another HB member, Viernes, who modified his Duetto with a new steam wand that fit Sproline tips, I decided to give it a shot.

Results: absolutely perfect, super thick, paint consistency micro foam..every..single..time. No fancy techniques needed.

So I thought I'd put up a guide on how to do this for anyone interested.

The modification is very easy, anyone should be able to do it. Either way, here is a step by step guide so it's painfully clear:

Parts & Tools Needed:

- Wrench
- Thread Seal Tape (purchase link)
- Lubricant (purchase link)
- La Marzocco 'GB-5/FB-80' Steam Wand (purchase link)
- Sproline Vortex Tip (purchase link)
- Anti Scorch Clip (purchase link)

The great thing about this mod is the LM steam wand fits perfectly. No adapters or extra stuff necessary, everything installs perfectly as is.

Here is a picture of the LM steam wand next to the stock Duetto wand:

STEP 1:

Unscrew steam wand nut and remove stock wand. Remove the nut you see pictured with a wrench.

Nut and stock wand removed:

Everything you should have just removed:

STEP 2:

Wrap thread tape around the end of the LM FB-80 steam wand.

STEP 3:

Lightly lubricate balltop on the LM FB-80 steam wand.

STEP 4:

Slide the nut up the LM FB-80 wand. Screw the Sproline tip onto the end of the LM FB-80 steam wand (you have to slide the nut onto the wand up to the balltop first as it won't fit onto the wand once the tip is screwed on).

Install LM FB-80 onto Duetto with the correct orientation. Set the metal brass part side of the spring on top of the ball top and insert into hole. Push up on the steam wand, depressing the spring with one hand while hand screwing the nut onto the threads with the other.

Tighten the nut on as far as you can with your hand and then finish tightening it completely with a wrench.

FINISHED:

Clears the drip tray fine:

Sproline Vortex tip closeup:

Stock wand with four hole tip (left) and LM FB-80 with Sproline Vortex tip (right):

STEAMING TECHNIQUE & SETTINGS:

Here are the settings and technique that I use.

Pressure: 1.4-1.5 BAR
Temperature: 251 Fahrenheit / 121 Celsius
Pitcher: Espro Toroid 20 oz (purchase link)
Milk: Whole

Technique:

Pitcher is ice cold in freezer (always keep it there). Fill with milk just below the spout. Return to freezer until ready to steam.

Flush wand for 1 second. Set wand inside pitcher spout, on an angle in the milk, just below the surface. Begin steaming and stretch (add air) for about 10 seconds, more or less depending on how much thickness you want. Keep tip on an angle in pitcher spout, just below the surface for the entire time, lowering pitcher to keep the tip just below the surface as milk volume increases.

VIDEO:

Here is a video with the mod above, following the technique explained and all settings the same as listed.

I didn't pour any latte art as I am not very good at it yet.. You should be able to see how thick the milk is and the quality of the microfoam in this video.

bamaster

#2: Post by bamaster »

Ooooo! Nice!

Question... why did you go with the Vortex tip instead of the Knife? I've read really nice things about the Knife tip. And thanks for the video... although I was trying to listen past the music... I wanted to hear the sound of the steaming.

Good job!

TomC
Team HB

#3: Post by TomC »

Its completely impossible to visually confirm from a video like this, that you have a perfect consistency for latte art, without seeing you pour an attempt at latte art.

Id be willing to buy the LM wand, but im not taking the leap with either the vortex or the knife tip, unless they come with 30 day full money back refund policies.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

LaDan

#4: Post by LaDan replying to TomC »

Excellent DYI post. Very detailed and clear explanations, haunce. :D

I'll second Tom's sentiment.

When I steam, my first quick check to evaluate my microfoam is to look at the coating of foam that stays on the steam wand. You could see if it slides down (not good), or if it stays and it has very small but still visible bubbles (eh), or if it coats it like a paint (woohoo). It's still just a first indication and I still might not have a good foam for the drink, either for the mouth feel and taste or for the art.

The coating on your wand looks nice. But unfortunately I couldn't hear because of the music. (Side note to everyone: I really wish everybody will just stop with the music on their coffee making and milk steaming videos. /end-rant ).

Can't see if the foam is ok. I "think" that you have too much foam (too dry). Like Tom said, only when you pour into the espresso I could tell if the foam is what I am looking for. I can make a nice microfoam on the Duetto sometimes. But it will still not pour well. The biggest problem that I see with the Duetto is that I'd either get too much or too little foam. It is ridiculously difficult to hit that target of exactly the amount of foam that I want to get.

For the record, I steamed very easily on a LM Linea and on a LM Strada and made very sharp latte art (rosettas) . So it's not like I just don't know how to do it. It's that I don't know how to do it on my Duetto. :roll:

I thought a lot about the possibility of buying that mod. But it came back to that I want a 30 days money back. It's not that I don't trust that the LM wand and these tips are good, it is that I don't trust that it will solve the issue with the Duetto.

Wondering if a LM wand and a stock FB or Strada tip would work???

haunce (original poster)

#5: Post by haunce (original poster) »

bamaster wrote:Ooooo! Nice!

Question... why did you go with the Vortex tip instead of the Knife? I've read really nice things about the Knife tip. And thanks for the video... although I was trying to listen past the music... I wanted to hear the sound of the steaming.

Good job!
I tried the Knife tip for a couple days and had better results with the Vortex. I'm sure you could get it to work, but since I already have been able to get it exactly how I want it.. I didn't waste any more time and went back to the Vortex.
TomC wrote:Its completely impossible to visually confirm from a video like this, that you have a perfect consistency for latte art, without seeing you pour an attempt at latte art.

Id be willing to buy the LM wand, but im not taking the leap with either the vortex or the knife tip, unless they come with 30 day full money back refund policies.
Once I get good enough at latte art, I will be sure to post a video so you can see.

Espresso Parts does offer a 30 day full refund ;)

Worst case scenario, keep the new LM wand and return the tip. You can of course use any tip that fits on a LM wand. I don't like the stock no burn Duetto wand and how it has that teflon plastic in it making too much wet steam. If anything, I think the wand upgrade is worth it alone.

slybarman

#6: Post by slybarman »

I purchased the 20 oz. Espro Toroid steaming pitcher a couple days ago. I was really impressed at how effortlessly it produced perfectly incorporated microfoam. It works great with my machine, I have no idea if it is right for everyone, but for $35 (Amazon), it might also be worth a try before plunking down $$ for a new arm and the vortex tip as they are both geared toward getting the foam to incorporate better.

Edit: I just noticed the OP is using the Toroid as well. Did you use the toroid with your original tip?

TomC
Team HB

#7: Post by TomC »

I have that pitcher and a few others. I can make beautiful thick pillows of foam for a capp, I just cant make the paint for latte art.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Beezer

#8: Post by Beezer »

Nice job.

I agree that the stock no burn arm makes the steam too wet, which makes it much harder to make microfoam. My solution was to replace the stock arm with a Vivaldi arm, which is similar to the stock one but doesn't have the teflon insulation tube inside. For some reason, this makes all the difference. Easy microfoam every time now.

http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/hom ... s5steamarm

I believe this is a cheaper option than the Sproline tip with the LM arm, for those interested in getting better microfoam for less investment.
Lock and load!

LaDan

#9: Post by LaDan »

Beezer wrote:My solution was to replace the stock arm with a Vivaldi arm, which is similar to the stock one but doesn't have the teflon insulation tube inside. For some reason, this makes all the difference. Easy microfoam every time now.
Your link is to the Vivaldi arm+tip. Which tip are you using?

Viernes

#10: Post by Viernes »

Nice post haunce. :D
Beezer wrote:I agree that the stock no burn arm makes the steam too wet, which makes it much harder to make microfoam. My solution was to replace the stock arm with a Vivaldi arm, which is similar to the stock one but doesn't have the teflon insulation tube inside. For some reason, this makes all the difference. Easy microfoam every time now.
You can simply remove the teflon inner tube from the stock wand. IMO the tube creates more condensation, thus more water. Of course then you'll get a burn-me wand. :)
LaDan wrote:
I thought a lot about the possibility of buying that mod. But it came back to that I want a 30 days money back. It's not that I don't trust that the LM wand and these tips are good, it is that I don't trust that it will solve the issue with the Duetto.

Wondering if a LM wand and a stock FB or Strada tip would work???
The Sproline tip improves the foam quality over the stock tip, but does not convert the machine into a LM machine. IMO the problem with home machines is the lack of power. I think you need a really big boiler to get a strong sustained pressure to create artfoam (instead of just microfoam) repeatedly.

This is the most disappointment issue with home machines (at least for me).
LaDan wrote:Wondering if a LM wand and a stock FB or Strada tip would work???
I have the stock FB tip. It eats all the boiler pressure. Also I found the holes too wide spread... I have no idea how to get good results with this.