How to tame the La Marzocco Linea Mini's water tap

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
weebit_nutty

#1: Post by weebit_nutty »

Unlike the GS3, the Linea Mini's water tap does not incorporate cool water into the tap line before it dispenses. It dispenses straight from the boiler.

Because the water dispensed is superheated it flash boils on the way out, causing uncontrollable sputtering. Frankly, it's bit scary to use and potentially dangerous if you're not aware of the high pressure and how sensitive the knob is.

To mitigate this, I did a quick 5 minute fix which eliminates the sputtering, and more importantly, limits the maximum flow to a safer, more manageable level. LM reached out to me interested in finding what I did. Maybe we'll see an improved spout/aerator offered in lieu of my findings :)

Speaking of the aerator, it just so happens to be a standard design and size, so other aerators will fit. I experimented with a couple of others one I had on hand and one of them was definitely better but was ugly, didn't restrict the flow and likely not designed to withstand long-term exposure to high temps.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

lcats

#2: Post by lcats »

OK, appreciated. What exactly is the white filter material you cut up to use?

jpreiser

#3: Post by jpreiser »

Just a guess but it looked like a cotton pad used for cosmetics.

keno

#4: Post by keno »

weebit_nutty wrote:I did a quick 5 minute fix which eliminates the sputtering, and more importantly, limits the maximum flow to a safer, more manageable level.
Thanks, this is an awesome mod! This was one of my few gripes about the Linea Mini. I had suggested to LM that they mix in cool water and they said the reason they didn't was to reduce maintenance issues as their experience with the GS3 showed that to be a potential problem area for scale buildup.

But this is a great alternative to reduce the sputtering which definitely reduces the functionality of the hot water tap. I hope that LM incorporates something like this into the latest versions of the machine.

keno

#5: Post by keno »

Looks like the mod slows the pressure to reduce the sputtering and provide a more controlled flow, albeit a slower flow. But the trade off is worth it.

The idea is great, but I'm not thrilled with using a cotton pad. I wonder if over time it will get pretty gross and maybe even moldy.

I'd like to see an alternative material that would be more appropriate for this type of application. I wonder if a superfine stainless steel wool would work? Otherwise, maybe a synthetic filter material?

weebit_nutty (original poster)

#6: Post by weebit_nutty (original poster) replying to keno »

I'm not at all concerned about it, TBH. The cotton will be regularly exposed to 200+ temps, so will always be sterile. One thing I should note is that because the built up pressure, after you cut the flow, the expanded gases behind the filter are pushing remaining water out of the pads. I've taken them out immediately after use and they almost completely dry. Also, the volume of material is so minuscule that they would be fully dried out by the time the assembly has even cooled down. I've verified this--I took them out after the nozzle has cooled and found the cotton to be a completely dry, firm puck.

As for alternatives, super fine stainless steel wool might work but probably not as well since it is no where near as fine as compressed cotton fiber. I would not use synthetic poly fibers for hot water though.

weebit_nutty (original poster)

#7: Post by weebit_nutty (original poster) »

jpreiser wrote:Just a guess but it looked like a cotton pad used for cosmetics.
correct. I was out of cotton balls :)

lcats

#8: Post by lcats »

I tried one of the green nylon 3M pads I use for cleaning PF's, but it did not offer enough resistance. I wonder about Dacron cosmetic pads, rather than cotton.

JonF

#9: Post by JonF »

Asbestos works great! And it's temperature resistant! :twisted:

But seriously, thanks for the tips on the Mini! Americanos are my AM drink, so I will keep this thread handy!

tohenk2

#10: Post by tohenk2 »

keno wrote: But this is a great alternative to reduce the sputtering which definitely reduces the functionality of the hot water tap. I hope that LM incorporates something like this into the latest versions of the machine.
Is the mixing valve not sold as a spare?