How to reset needle on brew pressure gauge of Vibiemme HX Junior?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
MuHyC

#1: Post by MuHyC »

Hi all,

Does anybody know on how to move around needle on Brew Pressure Gauge on VBM HX Junior without removing/disassembling the Brew Gauge?

The needle moved around (clockwise) all the way till the stopper. So basically the needle is under the stopper now and the stopper prevents the needle from going up when machine is brewing. See the attached pic. (Btw it happened after I cleaned over pressure valve.)

Thank you!

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

The face can be popped off (look around the edge as the gauges they used on the DS HX and DD have a little spot to use a small tool to pop the face off IIRC). But first you should establish why it did that. Disconnect the gauge fitting and the other end of the feed tube and see if it returns on its own. Apply vacuum to see if the needle moves at all. If that doesn't work then you have little to lose. If it doesn't return on its own pull gently on the needle to see if it comes off. Or look at the back and see if you can remove the guts from the case intact. It is likely a bourden tube gauge and the gears inside have gone past the end of their travel or similar catastrophe. Good luck..
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

MuHyC (original poster)

#3: Post by MuHyC (original poster) »

Thanks a lot Randy.
I'll try it once I get home.
One question though. How does one apply a vacuum?
Apply vacuum to see if the needle moves at all.

erics
Supporter ★

#4: Post by erics »

It may be a little difficult/awkward to apply a "mouth applied" vacuum to this gauge because the inlet tube is soldered to the gage connection.

After removing the gage plastic cover, I would VERY GENTLY lift the needle over the stop pin. Alternatively, you could remove the needle using two jeweler's screwdrivers and place it at the zero point. The needle itself is a light press fit on the pin.

Back your OPV adjustment off a few turns such that this condition does not repeat itself.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Randy G.

#5: Post by Randy G. »

MuHyC wrote:Thanks a lot Randy.
I'll try it once I get home.
One question though. How does one apply a vacuum?
Well...
A hypodermic syringe might work..
But this problem you have is normally caused by over-pressure which bends the Bourden tube inside (you will see it if you get in there). If all else fails you can try to recover its original "arch" to return the needle to zero, but you will be lucky if the calibration is even close once you finish. Looking into my crystal tamper I see a replacement gauge in your future... I know because I bought a quality 0-30 gauge for my espresso machines plumb-in line (past the regulator). Unfortunately the regulator was faulty and it ran the pressure to the well's holding tank maximum setting of 60psi. I tried to adjust the new regulator and it went from about 25 to max with a VERY slightest turn of the knob to increase the pressure. It has been about a month and I am still awaiting a RMA number from the seller. That is a thread all in itself.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

erics
Supporter ★

#6: Post by erics »

I see a replacement gauge in your future...
I would agree with that wholeheartedly.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

MuHyC (original poster)

#7: Post by MuHyC (original poster) »

Thanks a lot for your suggestions!
I'll post an update once I have spare time to look into it.

MuHyC (original poster)

#8: Post by MuHyC (original poster) »

Finally found some spare time to remove the pressure gauge.
As Randy mentioned, the bourden tube was bent so I guess it would be impossible to calibrate it using "home tools".
Thanks a lot everyone!