How to remove and replace steam/water knobs on Quickmill?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
denkigroove
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by denkigroove »

I received Dave's custom steam/water wood knobs a few months ago and finally got around to start putting them on my QM Aquila Deluxe. I can't seem to find any instructions (via google and search) on how to safely remove the knobs without damaging it? These are identical to the QM db machines. I have seen several fellow members who have done the knob replacements already, so does anyone mind sharing the steps on how to safely remove and swap the knobs?

Here's what my knobs look like:

erics
Supporter ★

#2: Post by erics »

If I remember correctly, just remove the "chrome" disks with your fingernail and you should see what's called an e-clip which holds the knob on.

Carefully remove this e-clip and unscrew the knob.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

denkigroove (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by denkigroove (original poster) »

Ok cool I will give it a try tonight. Thanks Erics!

Supporter ♡

#4: Post by denkigroove (original poster) »

Looks like the plastic caps are pretty snug. I plan on resorting to using a flathead screwdriver next but did not want to risk damaging the cap.

Any suggestions on how to safely remove the caps or is brute force the only way?

Clint Orchuk

#5: Post by Clint Orchuk »

Use a screwdriver. They pop off pretty easy. You won't damage them.

Supporter ♡

#6: Post by denkigroove (original poster) »

Thanks for all the tips guys. Another member Neil also suggested I use the blunt side of a flat knife and it worked like a charm. Everything else was gravy :)

The finished product. Thanks Dave (cannonfodder) for the great work! The machine has taken on a new identity now :D

Now I just need to pickup a hex key to work on swapping the portafilter handle.

pennywise

#7: Post by pennywise »

Those are great knobs and certainly add to the beauty of you machine, Tien! Are you happy with your Aquila? I was really surprised when 1st-line stopped carrying it.