How to remote & replace dead internal rotary pump VFA Expres Elite compact

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
WWBeagle

#1: Post by WWBeagle »

Recently purchased for a song a 2004 VFA Expres elite. Its a standard compact single group commercial, 120v, 16 amp. Internal rotary pump.

Sellers purchased it two years ago from a VFA distributor in Miami. Unit was refurbished at that time and still looks pristine except for the pump issue below. Sellers were older couple, ran it at home, did not use a softener and not sure ever descaled in two years. Lived south of Denver and the water here is hard. doubt they used a mails regulator either.

When I bought the unit, seller told me he first thought the pump was bad, bought a new one and then was told about descaling. Not sure what he meant but he said that was all that was needed and machine then worked fine, so he never used the new rotary pump. But he still had the new pump which he gave to me. Machine was disconnected for several months, he said, but claimed it worked before disconnecting.

JUST finally starting working on the machine. Turned it over. Motor and pump is built in with a swinging trap door from the bottom. Then, I noticed LOTS of white rubber goo all around the pump/motor V band connection.

Pump neck, V band and the motor neck were covered completely in a thick white sealant, almost like silicon chalk but denser and harder. Peeled off this rubbery sealant and found the reason why it was there: corrosion and rust, mostly on the pump side. Looks like water had been coming out of the pump seal and weep holes. And the while rubbery sealant was the fix.

Took off the V band. Motor and pump separated OK. Just a little rust inside motor coupling side and little on the shaft. BUT, pump, of course, will not turn, lots of rust, can see rust plugging the weep holes. I am guessing: seller did not use any mains pressure regulator and did not use soft water, and pump froze from scaling / corrosion.

From all the posts i read, best i can figure, Former owner had issues with original pump, either low pressure or leaking. Former owner bought new pump, but then descaled it enough to get it going. Still leaked and he sealed the sh** out of it. Motor works fine, rust on shaft cleaned off nicely.

The original compact neck rotary pump was a "compact" pump rebadged with a VFA label on the end and stamped PRM 08 AZ. Only listing for that number was a Russian pump rebuilding site (thanks Google translate) that listed the pump as a "compact brass espresso balanced bypass pump" at 80L hour.

The new replacement pump seller gave me is your bog standard looking rotary pump, appears to be a Hydropure and is stamped PR 2AZ with standard long neck. The Hydropure site in Miami lists it as 70 GPH. It is rebadged for an Italian part company. But, when assembled, the New pump and original motor are now 1/2" longer and will not fit in the machine. Not sure I care because I was planning on remoting the pump about 3 feet way anyway.

SO,

1. ANY downside from remoting the pump? Only two wires and Grd to pump and its 120v. Or should i get a fairly close replica to the original Compact pump: EPNW, CCS and Cafeparts sell them for $130+-

2. Old pump had a stainless spring under the 3/8 male/male fitting in the output section. New pump has no spring. Should i re-install the spring? or is it pump specific?

3. i am guessing no issues using the new pump at 70 GPH vs the old one at 80L/H?

Thanks for any insight. My experience to date has been with internal vibe pumps.

djbachelor

#2: Post by djbachelor »

Hey, glad to hear you're taking this thing on (and it didn't get lost on your workbench)! I hope somebody chimes in here who actually knows what they're talking about. I have never dealt with external pumps, but if you have the setup for it--I don't know why it would be a problem. Just extend the wires/hoses and find a suitable mounting spot in your cabinet--will probably even keep the motor assembly safer down there! I don't think the variation in volume would be a concern... but again, this is purely speculative for me.

Space-wise, my VFA was like the engine compartment on a Chevelle--I could probably have fit a spare pump and motor in there if I wanted to! Your machine sounds like it will be much more counter-friendly. :) Speaking of which-- how's it fairing as far as the WAF? Will this be replacing the Anita?

Love to see pictures when you have some to share!

Advertisement
djbachelor

#3: Post by djbachelor »

Hey there, did you ever find the information you needed to get this project under way? How's the machine?

Burner0000

#4: Post by Burner0000 »

I own a VFA Elite Splendor model I refurbished a while back. I am gonna eventually use it commercially so to be safe I tracked down all replacement solenoides and pump. The VFA's are very similar to the Faema machines when it comes to parts. I'm not sure of the exact model but they do have a replacement pump for your machine. If for some reason it won't fit again I'd consider mounting the pump outside the frame maybe? They are pretty quiet. Also if I'm not mistaken the element is the 5000W right? Normally goes for $400 also. espressoparts.com has it for $40. :p

I'd use the old piping and connectors from the original motor. The new ones don't come with it. Just descale first.

Answer to question 3. It shouldn't be a problem. I would just manually fill the boiler before firing it up and make sure you have the auto refil on. It will take a bit longer. Volumetric should work the same. :)
Roast it, Grind it, Brew it!.. Enjoy it!..