How to reduce the noise of Bezzera Mitica Top (Model 2012)

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
fotomanufaktur

#1: Post by fotomanufaktur »

Hi everybody,

i own a Mitica Top (it is the Model from the late 2012) and i love my machine, but what i hate is the noise. The vibration are so strong, that the drip tray sometimes will move. In the past, i used weights under the drip tray and also a silicone hose to reduce noise and vibration, with success.
Now, Bezzera changed the motor bracket and you can buy the bracket as Support Kit to upgrade your machine. Here is a little report how good it work and how difficult is the installation for a craftsman with two left arms :-)

Okay, first i wanted to know how loud is the Machine without the support tool. I don't have a professional measurement tool, so i used an iPhone app called Decible 10th.
With an empty drip tray, the app told me a value between 77 and 82dB during a shot. Very loud.

First, i run out the water of the boiler, remove the case (Uhh, the first time it it tricky) and the Tank holder. If you buy the support kit, you can find a manual with bad photos, but it is not difficult. After i remove two hoses, i can remove the pump, too.

The reason for the strong vibration are clear, because the pump is direct screwed with the case.

For your information: My Boiler is isolated to save some money.

Now you can see the support kit, screwed with the case. This is the new holder for the motor. It stands on 4 rubber lugs to reduce the vibration to the case.

Okay, i put the motor on the new holder and align it with the tank holder and the case. Bring back the hoses and the cables and before i put back the case, i did a test run and WOW, amazing. I hear a soft hum and that is all.

Okay, if i finished everything i used my iPhone App again and the results are amazing. During a shot the app told me a value between 54 and 65dB. The splash from the coffee is louder than the vibration of the Machine. :-)

Here is a little Video, but you can't hear it good enough. Sorry for the bad quality, it is only from my iPhone:
So, if you own a Mitica Top and it is not the newest Model, invest the Money (In europe it cost €40) and you have a really quiet Machine. It is great.
cheers

Michael

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

Nice! It would have been so cool if you had done a before and after video, since you'd be using the same gear, same accustic enviroment, same machine,camera etc...
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

fotomanufaktur (original poster)

#3: Post by fotomanufaktur (original poster) replying to TomC »

I am so Sorry, i didn't have it. I also thought, that you can't hear the right noise. So I thought a decibel measurement is much better.
cheers

Michael