How to prep an espresso machine for a move

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
IntrepidQ3

#1: Post by IntrepidQ3 »

I have an alex duetto v3. I'll be moving from Florida to Illinois this week. Is it necessary to drain it?

Ive already cleaned it and have its original box and packaging ready.
"As you know, an explorer's temperament requires two basic qualities: optimism in attempt, criticism in work."-Freud

ira
Team HB

#2: Post by ira »

If you don't drain it and it freezes, time for a new machine. So it's always a good idea. Also make it lighter.

Ira

Advertisement
HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

Search has several threads that answer your question; Preparing an espresso machine for storage is an old one (2007) and Espresso Machine Winter Storage (freezing) (2012) and Preparing HX espresso machine for transport / moving long distance? (2014) are more recent.

Given you're moving from the south to the north in the middle of winter, my main concern would be freezing. If it ends up in storage for a long time (e.g., longer than 30 days), see Advice about bringing an espresso machine out of storage? for recommendations.
Dan Kehn

beta14ok

#4: Post by beta14ok »

I recently did a NC to PA move in early fall, so no worries about freezing. I drained the boiler on Mondiale and packed her up in the original double box cardboard crate which I had saved in the attic for just such an eventuality. It made it lighter as suggested above and the moving guys loaded, stacked and unloaded without incident... I also made sure to have it clearly marked and on the official list of "high-value" items, so the Moving company were well aware of the consequences of an insurance claim.

I'd read all of those links above for sure great advice there. The ticket is lowest weight and packing the espresso machine in a box inside a larger box suspended in peanuts or some other type of compressible packing material.

I have some experience in shipping few Tubas which dent way easier than espresso machines. The double box technique has been extremely successful in thwarting dents and protecting intricate plumbing..

puffinjk

#5: Post by puffinjk »

When I am going to expose one of my machines to freezing weather I use cheap vodka, Put it in the boiler via the vacuum breaker valve and/or the water reservoir, Fire up the machine and recirculate, Make sure you get it in heat exchanger/boiler and steam and water valves, Then drain. Jim