How To Make Your Own Naked Portafilter - Page 4

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
DigMe

#31: Post by DigMe »

Fr. John wrote:

I feel cutting from the top down on the inside is easier and less likely to mar the PF than turning it over and cutting from the bottom up. The PF naturally holds the hole-saw in there where it can't get away from you and any marring that might occur would be hidden on the inside of the PF. The method I'm talking about is easy using a bench vise. See HB's link above to my instructions with pics which I posted on another board.

bc

DigMe

#32: Post by DigMe »

arossphoto wrote:What size hole-saw did you use? I was looking at some at the hardware store today and some had a mandrel (a bit in the center to guide the saw) and some did not. My first thought was the mandrel would be important to keep the saw centered, but then I wondered if it would get in the way as the saw went deeper. Did you use a drill press or just hand-held?

Cheers,

Andrew
I know this was an old post but I wanted to clarify that the mandrel is NOT the bit that comes up from the middle of the hole saw. That is called a pilot bit. The mandrel is the shaft that the hole saw attaches to that keeps it attached to the drill. If you buy a hole saw that comes without a mandrel then you will need to buy one separately. The cheapest way will be to buy a mandrel/hole saw combo that come together.

bc

Advertisement
Bigfella

#33: Post by Bigfella »

I just "modified" by La Pavoni Old Group portafilter and made it naked, in the never ending search for the perfect shot. Well I must have made a fubar because now the machine squirts espresso all over the kitchen - my wife is VERY happy about this - or it runs down the handle onto my wrist. Can someone help?? happy to post a picture of my efforts.

Its either make it work or £50 for a new one!

ppopp

#34: Post by ppopp »

When I modified my SL-70 portafilter to go bottomless, I had trouble at first with the espresso running down the handle. Turns out that the clearance between the basket and the edge of the hole wasn't big enough, and the espresso was catching on the edge of the hole and running down the handle. I described it here:

https://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espre ... nes/286238

I fixed the problem by increasing the clearance (essentially making the hole bigger), and it gave the espresso more room to "crawl" to the center of the basket and then drop down.
Peter

Know beans, know coffee. No beans, no coffee.

Bigfella

#35: Post by Bigfella »

Excellent! Another 30 mins filing and all is well, almost. I pulled a nice shot but I still get some leaking on the the handle but it drips into the drip tray so it's not too bad. I have removed more metal from the handle area - should I be brave and remove some more or have I gone too far already.....

nixter

#36: Post by nixter »

I found a machine shop about 3 blocks from my house. They drilled out the bottom of my extra PF for $40. Works great!

n

DigMe

#37: Post by DigMe replying to nixter »

Wow...they charged you too much.

brad

Advertisement
nixter

#38: Post by nixter »

In terms of convenience it was an absolute steal. It's not worth my time to do it myself (ok I don't have the tools) and I didn't have to send it anywhere and deal with shipping and handling or waiting for a package to arrive. dropped it off, ran some errands, picked it up. $40 dollars cash. No complaints.

n

VS_DoubleShot

#39: Post by VS_DoubleShot »

i just noticed espressoparts is selling used portafilters made naked for $20 a pop
Regards,

Vince

Spresso_Bean

#40: Post by Spresso_Bean replying to VS_DoubleShot »

Just to add to this - the used portafilters are for E-61 type groups. Not a bad deal but it also states the condition may vary.