How to avoid burning out heating element?

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
RickB

#1: Post by RickB »

Over the past few years, I've burned up a couple of heating elements of my sixties Europiccola, due to lack of water in the boiler. Stupid you say? I agree, but there it is. As far as I know myself, this time won't be the last time this will happen to me. Using a safety-fuse didn't solve the problem so I thought to build a protection based on the autofill sensor, used in quite a few modern machines. I think it uses the resistance of the water to influence a tiny current through this sensor and the circuit it is connected to. Less current translates into powering a solenoid, I presume. Anybody out there to fill the gaps for me? I'd be much obliged.

Rick

stefano65
Sponsor

#2: Post by stefano65 »

descaling the machine and do periodical maintenance
in your particular case possibly
including the water level probe cleaning and testing
inlet solenoid valve cleaning or replacement
checking for any loose ground wire ( of the autofill circuit)
should keep the autofill circuit healthy
there are some control boxes out there that will give you also a low water shutting off power to the heating element
but in the elektra style configuration
I personally never found one
in any case the level probe will need to be inserted in the boiler, etc etc
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.

Advertisement
Psyd

#3: Post by Psyd »

stefano65 wrote: in your particular case possibly
including the water level probe cleaning and testing
Uhm, Stefano, I think he meant that he has a 1960's era La Pavoni Lever Machine, the Europiccola, and you read Elektra Sixties. Or I'm the one that's mistaken.

The question that I'm hearing is; "Is it advisable to retro-fit a water level sensor on my old Europiccola so that I don't burn out another element by leaving the thing on?"

Yeah, as the cat that had to call back to my girlfriends house to get her to double check that I'd turned my Factory off, I can relate.

Doing anything that interrupts the integrity of the boiler would be of concern to me at my level of handymannism.
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

RickB (original poster)

#4: Post by RickB (original poster) »

Psyd, you're right. I should have been more specific about the model.

About integrity: unfortunately I burnt up my (and my suppliers) stock of screw-on, double coil elements used on these machines. In despair I used the brass base to fit an available element by cutting of the old coils and drilling holes to hold the new one. This operation saved my beloved Europiccola from an untimely demise and hasn't resulted (yet) in blowing up my kitchen. So I'm bold...

stefano65
Sponsor

#5: Post by stefano65 »

ops
he did wrote europiccola didn't he
forget my all speech above

for lever la pavoni that old
just keep an eye on the sightglass and do not leave it on for more time then necessary
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.

cagiva905

#6: Post by cagiva905 »

I've been thinking about the same solution. Recently I aquired a 60ies era Europiccola from Ebay, fortunately in good nick and with a completely functional heater element. Since I want to keep it that way (with the element made of unobtanium these days), I am looking ahead as well.

The kind of level sensor I'm familiar with (that indeed work on the conductivity of the water) are normally hooked up to an electronic system, with max. 5V voltage. I'm talking about the ones used in radiators for industrial diesel engines by the way.
These things are not very big or expensive, however the available space in your boiler (especially from the underside) might be even too small for such an item. However if your current "modern" coils are wound differently, you might have space enough for it.
My solution so far has been the replacement of the power cable (old and not useable 3-prong italian connector) by a home made piece with connector with integrated switch. I just "Pavloved" myself into switching off the machine right after pulling the shot.

If you need some info on the level sensor, let me know. You can always pm me in Dutch.

By the way, who is / was your supplier of parts? Haven't been able to locate one on Holland for this old lady..
Michiel
Never follow the beaten track, you'll miss out too much..

RickB (original poster)

#7: Post by RickB (original poster) »

Hi Michiel,

Yes, I would like some info on the probe. 5 Volts is enough to register the lack of water for this probe?

For parts and gaskets/seals, pm me.

Advertisement
gyro

#8: Post by gyro »

cagiva905 wrote:I just "Pavloved" myself into switching off the machine right after pulling the shot.
Love it! :D

http://espressocare.com/Qstore/Qstore.c ... 58972009C1

A-24 Safety thermostat. I believe it attaches underneath on the boiler's brass baseplate and if the boiler runs dry (ie baseplate gets hotter than normal) then the cutout breaks the heating element circuit.

I guess the older ones don't have these, but you could retrofit?

Cheers, Chris

Bluecold

#9: Post by Bluecold »

Couldn't you make a floating magnet in a small standpipe inside the boiler and a reed switch at the base?
That way you don't have to drill holes in the boiler.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

HB
Admin

#10: Post by HB »

RickB wrote:Over the past few years, I've burned up a couple of heating elements of my sixties Europiccola, due to lack of water in the boiler. Stupid you say? I agree, but there it is. As far as I know myself, this time won't be the last time this will happen to me.
A programmable timer should solve the forgetfulness factor.
Dan Kehn