How do I remove the boiler?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
nashsnazzy

#1: Post by nashsnazzy »

Fellow home baristas,
I'm trying to remove the boiler from my old espresso machine and I can't figure out what to take out next or how to accomplish it. I need to get this out so I can finish disassembling the bottom of the boiler to replace the gasket for the portafilter.

Thanks

ira
Team HB

#2: Post by ira »

Looks like my Baby Gaggia. I think you need to take off the steam valve before it will go anywhere. If I recall correctly, those 4 bolts let you open the boiler and look inside and since I can see nothing else holding it, I'd look at the other side. I didn't know enough to know about gaskets when I had that machine so I never tried to change it, but are you sure you need to pull the boiler to change it?

Ira

cuppajoe

#3: Post by cuppajoe »

As said, unless it's a very unusual machine(not specified) you shouldn't need to remove the group to change out the PF gasket. They are usually just press fit from the bottom. There are some that are captured by the shower screen, in which case there should be a screw in the middle of the screen.

Even with the group removed, you'd probably still have to remove the gasket from the bottom, so little point.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

sengcy

#4: Post by sengcy »

This looks similar to Gaggia Classic. You many want to look at this http://protofusion.org/wordpress/2012/0 ... -cleaning/. Since your machine is not a Gaggia Classic, some steps may be different. Use the site only to get some ideas. Good luck.

nashsnazzy (original poster)

#5: Post by nashsnazzy (original poster) »

I appreciate the help. How do you pull the gasket out? I'm happy to not have to remove the boiler if I don't have to. It seems pretty tightly stuck in there.

sprint jinx

#6: Post by sprint jinx »

Stick a sharp awl into the gasket at an angle, not too deep to scratch through it. Pry it out, with the help of a small flat screwdriver, once you have an edge clear.

go slow

nashsnazzy (original poster)

#7: Post by nashsnazzy (original poster) »

I can't seem to get this gasket out. I'm afraid that I've scratched the head all to heck and back doing it. Any suggestions? I'm thinking of just tossing this machine out and getting another one. :(

Randy G.

#8: Post by Randy G. »

Get a wood screw and cut the sharp tip off. Turn it into the gasket until it stops against the group. Pull it out. If the screw pulls out but the gasket does not come out, drive the screw in again right next to the previous hole. Eventually either the gasket will break or it will come out. Once out, clean up the groove where it sits and burnish off any high spots and don't worry about it.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done