How do I get flavored coffee taste out of super-automatic?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
espressodude

#1: Post by espressodude »

I picked up a used Delonghi Magnifico super automatic. The previous owner used a flavored coffee and I can taste it in my espresso.

I believe the flavor is stuck in the grinder, which is part of the machine. How do I get the taste out?

Also if anyone knows where to buy durgol in Portland, OR I would love to know :)

Thanks for any help.

Brandon

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

The flavor will mostly be in the oils stuck on the grinder burrs. The coffee making group should be fine, but could be a minor contributor. In regular grinders and machines, you'd grind through some rice or Grindz, and that would do it. The group could be washed with a regular espresso machine cleaner. You need to call a De Longhi rep to find out how the equivalent can be done in an all in one super autos.
Jim Schulman

Randy G.

#3: Post by Randy G. »

While it is likely that some of the flavor is coming from the grinder, some of the operating mechanisms I have seen from super-auto machines have a lot of plastic parts in the mechanism that come in contact with the coffee.

I do agree that Grindz may be a way to get the flavors out of the grinder, but also that you should contact not only Delonghi but also Urnex to see what they say about using Grindz in a super auto.

You might also try getting a pound or two of some economical beans and keep making drinks until the artificial flavor is gone.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

weasel

#4: Post by weasel »

You should be able to find Durgol at Sur La Table in Portland.

I imagine that between the Durgol, and putting some grindz tablets through the grinder, your coffee should start tasting normal after a seasoning shot or two.

zod27

#5: Post by zod27 »

Woah, wait on the Grindz. I swear I remember hearing never to run grindz through Super Autos. Something to do with the careful calibration and the lack of being able to adjust it easily. I would double check this though as it is late now and I am tired.

*Oh, you're also never supposed to run flavored or oily beans through them if I remember correctly.