Hot water sitting in a copper double boiler vs. HX

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
bobmccarthy

#1: Post by bobmccarthy »

Since my planned new purchase will be in the home and its actual use is intermittant, my quest for a new espresso maker is reaching a final decision point. My old Silvia was turned on only at the time of use. The new unit will be on most of the day awaiting me to put it to work. The significant warm up time required of the higher end units eliminates turning on with each use.

I came across a statement made by a new purchaser of a higher end unit, that he could detect a copper metallic taste in the brew water.

I know our houses are filled with copper plumbing, but for drinking its all from the cold tap. Hot water is stored in a glass lined water heater.

Most espresso machines have copper boilers, with a few constructed from stainless steel. In regards to a double boiler, it stores significant hot water that will be drunk by the user. Does that provide the possibility of copper leaching into the water?

In comparison a HX machine runs cold water through the steam boiler so the exposure to heat is short and brief. That may be a significant reason to learn the HX dance over the simpler DB, step up and go after a minimal couple second flush

bob

bobmccarthy (original poster)

#2: Post by bobmccarthy (original poster) »

Never mind, I asked the question in the search facility differently and got everything I wanted to know about water and copper.

B