High pressure water squirting out of Saeco Aroma

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
g.Narly

#1: Post by g.Narly »

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to this wild world of high-end coffee (I've had a steam-only Krups w/blade grinder for the last 5 years). I recently saw Alton Brown's Good Eats and decided to upgrade. I pretty much purchased what he used on the show... the Saeco Aroma and Gaggia MDF.

I'm having some issues.

I ground the beans to what I thought look good, tampered them to 30lbs, primed the pump using the manufacturer's instructions and let 'er rip. The shot came out in about 10-12 seconds but I think it had a nice crema (second guessing due to it's pressurized pf but it looked like Alton's) and it tasted okay (it's an upgrade at least). I then removed the pf and saw that the puck was not a puck but a gooey mass with a thin layer of water on top. I repeated this several times with the same results. I then just ran the espresso without the pf and saw a streaming jet come out of the center holes in the machine (picture included).

The unit was a refurbished item and I'm wondering if it just needs to be cleaned or returned. Or if this is normal. If it is, then I don't know why the goo and why are the shots so short.

Please help.

Thanks,
Brian

Advertisement
g.Narly (original poster)

#2: Post by g.Narly (original poster) »

Okay, an update to my "issue".

I just got off the phone with Saeco Tech Support and they informed me that this is normal for this model. I'm still having a hard time swallowing this response due to the gooey, watery grounds and 10 second pulls.

Does anyone around here have the same machine? If so, how does yours perform? Any information would help.

Thanks,
Brian

#3: Post by g.Narly (original poster) »

Another update... (I used to work in Tech Support for a software company)

I've called an authorized service center for Saeco and they gave me confirming information. He said that Saeco is putting newer heating elements on these units and these new units have small outlets that are in the center of the filter. This results in this action. Gooey, watery grounds are also a result. So it seems that even though I took a step up from the cheesy Krups, it wasn't as big a step up as I thought. Oh well, it was only $130. Now I don't know if I even need to use my tamper at all. Lame...

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

That is a rather forceful looking stream, is the dispersion screen missing? It's difficult to tell from a single photo; a video would be more revealing. BTW, DigMe mentioned that Alton switched to a pressurized portafilter during the espresso preparation sequence. A tamper doesn't do much in the case of a pressurized portafilter because its pinhole exit "aerates" the coffee to create (pseudo) crema:

From Krups filter basket has only one exit hole (?)

This small hole creates the back pressure, not the coffee. The puddle of water atop the puck is normal for espresso machines, like yours, that don't have a solenoid to release the pressurized water from the brew chamber.
Dan Kehn

#5: Post by g.Narly (original poster) »

Thanks for the super fast update Dan. I'll work on the video tonight. I do remember seeing a small pinhole at the bottom of the pf. It has an O-Ring as well. I'll get some pics and post them here as well.

jesawdy

#6: Post by jesawdy »

The Saeco has the pressurized portafilter holder (the handle) and uses a regular basket (unlike the Krups above). My only experience on a Saeco is the Saeco-built Starbuck's Barista machine. This machine has the pressurized portafilter and does a good job with the non-pressurized PF (I never messed with the pressurized one). On the Barista, the water did not jet out of the dispersion screen, it came out at a leisurely pace.... your video of this action will show more than the photo.

You should be able to get the non-pressurized PF direct from Saeco USA or a service center.... if the water jets out, getting one might be a moot point as it would disturb the puck too much, so let's wait for the video.

Oh, and a welcome to HB!
Jeff Sawdy

oofnik

#7: Post by oofnik »

Hmm, my old Pavoni did something similar when the shower screen became clogged. I can't tell from the picture you posted how the screen is held to the group, but I would guess there is a screw in the center. Remove the screen and take a look. I bet it's caked up with a layer of black tar coffee oils. If that's the case, soak it in a detergent solution for a few minutes then scrub it down.

Advertisement
philee

#8: Post by philee »

you can get the non-pressurized pf for about $25 (incl. shipping) by directly calling saeco's customer service.

be sure to leave them a message telling them what you want, and they'll get back to you.
customer service agents almost never pick up the phone. it took me about 3 days to get in touch with them.

espressme

#9: Post by espressme »

g.Narly wrote:Okay, an update to my "issue".
I just got off the phone with Saeco Tech Support and they informed me that this is normal for this model. I'm still having a hard time swallowing this response due to the gooey, watery grounds and 10 second pulls.
Does anyone around here have the same machine? If so, how does yours perform? Any information would help.
Thanks,
Brian
Hello Brian,
A SWAG
I just rebuilt the boiler in my Barista and the puck is always a bit, to a lot, gooey! I don't get the huge blast of steam though. You seem to have the kind of pressure I find with the steam switch on. A possibility is that when it was rebuilt, the wrong thermostat was used for the brew or the wiring was switched between the brew and steam thermostats. See if the machine works with less blast with the steam switch on.( that would use the thermostat that would be normally the brew one if it was miswired. If it is a newer model the boiler is stainless steel. Unplug the machine. It better be cold! :)

There should be a screw in the center of the dispersion screen, carefully take it out and check the screen for crud.

Bye the way, the Saeco people suggest spooning the gorp out of the PF and rinsing. Especially if you have the fancy pressurized PF.

Good luck and you may wish to go HERE

And here is the instructions for the PF and they do make a difference! HERE

sincerely
richard

PS you can call Edward at the above place after you've tried the PF instructions and the trying with the steam switch on experiments.
richard penney LMWDP #090,

peacecup

#10: Post by peacecup »

Your Saeco is capable of making better espresso than 90% of that you get in cafes (unless you live somewhere very special!).

I used a Saeco Via Venetto for years, then a SB Barista (same pump, group). Some of them do seem to spray a stream like you show. Try grinding fine enough to get <2 oz. of espresso in 30 secs. With or without the pressurized portafilter you can create your own pressure with grind and tamp. Once you've got the 30-sec grind/tamp (it will likely be pretty fine), you should get drier, more solid pucks and even extraction. YOU NEED TO EITHER WAIT A WHILE OR RELEASE EXCESS STEAM AFTER THE SHOT OR YOU'LL GET MASSIVE PORTAFILTER SNEEZE!

If you go to Saeco online you can get a $20 non-pressurized portafilter that will help you hone your espresso skills. These also take a little practice, but they leave you in control of pressure via grind/dose/tamp.

Here's a shot of a Via Venetto espresso:

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."